Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > New Mead Master in Training

Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts

Personally, I would start out with a 5 gal batch. I did, I used a slightly modified sweet traditional out of Ken's book. It turned out great, tasted like antiseptic prior to aging. Then I moved on to some simple mels and then I did a couple of meglathins and finally combined them, Fruit and a pairing of spices leaning toward the unusaual mixes. I would also recomend doing some traditionals doing side by side tests to see what works for you what is better than what. My first side by side was an oaked traditional vs non-oaked.
I did nothing different for each batch. Except oaked with lightly toasted oak in one. The Oaked won out but both were good. What I got from it was what effect the oaking had so that I could incorporate it into other brews knowing what the taste profile will give. I am now doing another traditional, trinary batch: Light, Med, Heavy toast levels to taste the difference between the levels. In a way it is also perfecting my standard sweet traditional recipie AND giving me experience on what does what to incorporate it into other brews. Refining processes and building a sort of personal taste knowledge. I don't brew 1 gal batches, I don't feel that I can properly judge a recipie on so little amount. When done you may end up with about a six pack 12 oz bottles from a gal brew. I get 8 six packs out of a 5-6 gal batch.
That's plenty of time and allows for aging and tasting it over time. Another learning experince.

Reading the sticky, Ken Schram's book, making a couple of batches starting simple and that's about it. Looks like you are already on your way to developing contacts for supplies. I recomend you find a local Brew store or find a few places online. Buy a small amount of something first, like 2-3 batches and then when you are sure what you are going to use, buy in bulk. I bought my DAP in a pound size reciently and the realization that it will last another 30-35 batches is reassuring.

Something I would recomend to is to keep track of how much your supplies cost for a given batch and find your local farmer's market. Sams Club may be ok but it is more expensive for a lesser quality of goods and it may be in a bulk that you don't want.

Oh, and if you are making a vanilla batch: Buy the beans online in bulk, much cheaper. My wife also loves the vanilla extract that I make with the excess. 6 beans to 1 cup of white rum. split, scrape, all in a jar and shake for the first week, then let sit for 2 months, ending up with 3/4 cup of vanilla extract better than store bought. But if you are brewing put them in the secondary, split and scraped. Extracts are easy, just need jars and rum/vodka and 1-2 months of sitting in it.

Well, hope that this helps.

Matrix

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
kc_in_wv
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I started out making cider buying 1 gal glass jugs full of cider for about $7. Add airlock and stopper for about $1 each. You can also buy at walmart for about $7 @ those 5 gal empty plastic water bottles. Walmart and some other deli's will sell you their 5 gal used icing buckets to use for a fementor.

But then if you are like me you like the process of making your own and expand your equipment.

Some times I have an idea on something to add so I pull off some in one of my gallon jugs and try it.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Devo9
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Matrix,

Sorry, a little here....

A few questions about the vanilla.

With the Bulk Vanilla, where do you order it from?

In the secondary, you split the pods, scrape our the inside and then put the scrapings into the secondary... is that correct?

The extract... 6 beans in 1 cup white rum, is that 6 bean pods or 6 bean segments removed from the pods?

Thanks!

Awesome info by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
Oh, and if you are making a vanilla batch: Buy the beans online in bulk, much cheaper. My wife also loves the vanilla extract that I make with the excess. 6 beans to 1 cup of white rum. split, scrape, all in a jar and shake for the first week, then let sit for 2 months, ending up with 3/4 cup of vanilla extract better than store bought. But if you are brewing put them in the secondary, split and scraped. Extracts are easy, just need jars and rum/vodka and 1-2 months of sitting in it.

Well, hope that this helps.

Matrix

Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
DerykCrum
Recipes 

Not Batesvill, it's Coy's Honeyfarm in Brooklyn and there is Clyde Grays in Jonesboro so I've got two apiaries in a 15 min drive so far I haven't found a homebrew store but my dad will probably know where to find one. If not atleast I have the Internet.

After all the advice I think I'll start with my 6 gallon batch still (I like going all out too much not to) but when I get to secondary I'll split it into a 3gallon basic and then three 1 gallon variables where I'll try something different in each to see which I like best. still gonna start with a cinnamon apple cider mead. Maybe even do a beer anyways since my moms boyfriend has actually made his own beer before. So I've got some help

And should it all fail miserably (which I pray won't lol) I'm still young enough I know where the party animals are and I'll just pump it full of hard liquor and sell it to my friends lol. Sadly they don't care about quality of taste as long a they get drunk

Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Pennachi
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Where is a good place to look for one gallon glass jugs of juice and/or cider? I have checked a couple of local grocery stores and Costco....

Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #16
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerykCrum View Post
Not Batesvill, it's Coy's Honeyfarm in Brooklyn and there is Clyde Grays in Jonesboro so I've got two apiaries in a 15 min drive so far I haven't found a homebrew store but my dad will probably know where to find one. If not atleast I have the Internet.

After all the advice I think I'll start with my 6 gallon batch still (I like going all out too much not to) but when I get to secondary I'll split it into a 3gallon basic and then three 1 gallon variables where I'll try something different in each to see which I like best. still gonna start with a cinnamon apple cider mead. Maybe even do a beer anyways since my moms boyfriend has actually made his own beer before. So I've got some help

And should it all fail miserably (which I pray won't lol) I'm still young enough I know where the party animals are and I'll just pump it full of hard liquor and sell it to my friends lol. Sadly they don't care about quality of taste as long a they get drunk
Have you got varietys and pricing from either place yet? The place in Batesville is super cheap as long as it is legit honey...

Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
ksatter
Recipes 

There's a honey distributor here in North Little Rock that is carried in most of the local grocery stores. I do plan on checking them out for bulk honey since I work only a few miles from their office.

Fischer Honey Company

There's also a LHBS here in NLR. They carry a decent selection on yeast and equipment. The folks there are always friendly and helpful.

Fermentables Homebrew & Winemakers Supply

Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
SpamDog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennachi View Post
Where is a good place to look for one gallon glass jugs of juice and/or cider? I have checked a couple of local grocery stores and Costco....
I only seem to find them at Health food stores and Co-ops

Give it a good look before you buy, there is one brand here that just moved from 1 gallon to 3 liter bottles. Not a big deal but kind of a bummer when you get shorted.

SpamDog

Penguin Brewing

Upcoming: Berry Melomel, Coffee Cream Stout, Plum Mead, Acerglyn.
Fermenting/Bulk Aging: Spiced Cyser, Grape Pyment, Sweet Mead.
Bottled: Maple Porter, Honey Red Ale, JAO, Pear Mead, Sweet Zinfandel.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #19
DerykCrum
Recipes 

Nah like I said I'm a procrastinator lol plus I won't have tue equipment til after Xmas at the earliest so I'm taking my time but I'ma check em out next week for sure

Old 01-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #20
Risner
Recipes 

There is a home brew supply store here in jonesboro by Walmart on Parker they have everything you need for mead if you're still interested