How long can priming take? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long can priming take?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Scarthingmoor
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ottawa, ON
Posts: 52


I've had a batch of red that has been in the bottles for about 5-6 weeks. It has almost no carbonation, to the point where I decided to open the bottles, add a little sugar and a bit of yeast to try to get things moving. During this process, I opened about 10 bottles, each with very little CO2 escaping when I opened the bottles. The 11th one frothed over when I opened it.

What gives? How long can carbonation take? Anyone else had this problem of very uneven carbonation between bottles?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
BeerBrewBob
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Huntsville, AL
Posts: 35
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Priming can be tedious, no doubt. Are you using Corn Sugar or table sugar? How are you priming.... Are you mixing the sugar with water on the stove and then pouring it into your bottling bucket before adding the wort or manually adding sugar to each bottle?
Also, where are you storing your bottles? I have come to believe that letting them sit close to a heat source like a dryer could accelerate some, without affecting the whole batch, hence your issue of the 11th beer spewing but not the others. It could be a combination of both storage and incorrect sugar saturation.


__________________
It's not about knowing the business, it's about knowing more than the boss.

Reason: Needed to add a few things I remembered

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
Scarthingmoor
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ottawa, ON
Posts: 52

priming each bottle individually with corn sugar. All should be the exact same temp (maybe 68-72 F).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
BIGREDIOWAN
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Norwalk, IA
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarthingmoor View Post
priming each bottle individually with corn sugar. All should be the exact same temp (maybe 68-72 F).
I've never done it that way and that doesn't mean the way you're doing it doesn't work. I've always boiled up my water with my priming sugar, cooled it down, and then added it to my bottling bucket while the wort is filling the bottling bucket up. I've never had an issue doing it that way?
__________________
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-m...-build-261067/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Millsteg
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Posts: 78
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'm having the same issue with mine after 2 weeks. I've opened up roughly about 10 bottles and only 1 had good carbonation. Glad I'm going to be kegging and force carbing after this batch so not to worry about it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,519
Liked 3621 Times on 3110 Posts


Kegging will have whole new list of things to F with your mind. Priming evenly isn't hard,just give up on carb drops & pouring sugar into the bottles. I used to do that,& bulk priming is more accurate to style. Certainly more even. And dissolving the sugar in boiled water & cooling down to beer temp before adding to bottling bucket will work easier & faster. The yeasties like easy pickins.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsteg View Post
I'm having the same issue with mine after 2 weeks. I've opened up roughly about 10 bottles and only 1 had good carbonation. Glad I'm going to be kegging and force carbing after this batch so not to worry about it.
So, just because you're openning your beer too early and complaining that your beer isn't ready yet, you think kegging is the magic answer, when in truth PATIENCE is the magic answer...and even if you keg, you still often need to wait the same amount of time for the beer to condition and not taste like crap.....Just because a beer can carb quick, doesn't necessarily mean your beer isn't still gonna be green.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.


Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....



If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

At two weeks I wouldn't expect ANY of my beers to be carbed yet.....
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,519
Liked 3621 Times on 3110 Posts


Yup, That's in on the nosey! Even I've started mentioning how my observations tell me that beer carbonates faster than it conditions. At times by a few weeks. Patience is it's own reward.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Millsteg
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Posts: 78
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So, just because you're openning your beer too early and complaining that your beer isn't ready yet, you think kegging is the magic answer, when in truth PATIENCE is the magic answer...and even if you keg, you still often need to wait the same amount of time for the beer to condition and not taste like crap.....Just because a beer can carb quick, doesn't necessarily mean your beer isn't still gonna be green.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.


Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....



If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

At two weeks I wouldn't expect ANY of my beers to be carbed yet.....


At first I was like... this guys kind of a jerk. And then I was like.... ok he's kinda coming around. And then I was like.... this guy really has some pretty good insight. And then finally i was like.... Ok he might now what he's talking about.

Thanks for straightening my ass out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
ThickHead
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 972
Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsteg View Post
At first I was like... this guys kind of a jerk. And then I was like.... ok he's kinda coming around. And then I was like.... this guy really has some pretty good insight. And then finally i was like.... Ok he might now what he's talking about.
This might be a candidate for addition to Revvy's sig.


__________________
Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

BAOKBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Had bad luck with priming with DME. How to convert to priming sugar? agurkas Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 05-15-2011 06:14 PM
How long is long enough for a long primary weizen? TVarmy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-16-2010 02:37 PM
Long Time in Fermenter, Priming Question EisBerg Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 05-06-2009 03:32 AM
Priming Sugar question (how long to boil) berwick12 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 29 04-01-2009 03:40 PM
How long can Beer sit with priming sugar? kahunaman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-16-2009 11:48 PM


Forum Jump