What is the difference between these two brew kettles? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is the difference between these two brew kettles?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
MatthewN
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Posts: 3


I'm starting to get into all grain brewing and I'm putting together my equipment. I have noticed that when it comes to kettles there seems to always be a really cheap model and a high end one. From the specifications I can't really see the difference.

$239.99

$102

Is the $200 dollar one really worth the difference?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
mrgstiffler
 
mrgstiffler's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Newberg, OR, Cascadia
Posts: 1,045
Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts


I would say it's totally not worth the difference. It does have the false bottom so it can be used as a mash tun, but that's not worth it.
__________________
Simple BIAB Calculator

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 160 Times on 150 Posts


i you are even a little bit handy you could make a keggle for $100 or less depending on how much you pay for the keg, i found one for $45 bucks on craigslist.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,526
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgstiffler View Post
I would say it's totally not worth the difference. It does have the false bottom so it can be used as a mash tun, but that's not worth it.
I wouldn't jump the gun on that..look at the bottoms of the kettles. The ECONOMY pot is just a thin sheet of stainless.. the more expensive one has a heat sink on the bottom( probably a thick aluminum plate ) which SHOULD make it more heat efficient AND less likely to scorch the wort, and far less likely to warp.

Is it worth the difference....thats up to you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,526
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
i you are even a little bit handy you could make a keggle for $100 or less depending on how much you pay for the keg, i found one for $45 bucks on craigslist.
BINGO. I have under 30 bucks in my keggle. BUT I have friends in low places and got my fittings free. The keg I honestly found in a ditch.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 160 Times on 150 Posts


will you be sticking to 5 gallon batches? i quickly outgrew my first kettle and ended up buying a series of kettles in increasing sizes. if i had to do it again i would have just started with the keggle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
Jdaught
 
Jdaught's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Midlothian, TX
Posts: 322
Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts


Keggle is the way to go. Especially if all u plan on doing is 5 gallon batches. Gets a little tricky fighting the boil over with the 10 gal batches. 12-13 gal of wort in a 15 gal vessel doesn't allow for much headroom. Actually considering getting 20 gal blinchmann now.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
Rogue14
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Seattle, WA
Posts: 97
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I'd look around for a 10 gallon pot. If you are doing 5 gallon batches you can easily start with a 7 preboil volume. I have a friend who does this and boils vigorously. He ends up with just under 5 gallons. I boil a bit more gently and end up with 6 gallons. The point is you have more room and won't have to worry as much about boilover.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
will you be sticking to 5 gallon batches? i quickly outgrew my first kettle and ended up buying a series of kettles in increasing sizes. if i had to do it again i would have just started with the keggle.
If you are going to spend that kind of money, get a bigger kettle. You will be happy you did.

Buy one that can do 10 gallon batches even if you are not ready for them. You will never worry about boil overs and you will be ready to step up and not be stuck with a small kettle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
sonex
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
dillsburg, pa
Posts: 391
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaught View Post
Keggle is the way to go. Especially if all u plan on doing is 5 gallon batches. Gets a little tricky fighting the boil over with the 10 gal batches. 12-13 gal of wort in a 15 gal vessel doesn't allow for much headroom. Actually considering getting 20 gal blinchmann now.
exactly, my keggle is a little small for my 10 gal batches. I'm now looking for a 25 gal kettle for 10 and 15 gal batches. probably just buy aluminum to save $$$.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
to brew or not to brew in aluminum kettles daveaohio Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 03-14-2011 02:16 AM
Aluminum Brew kettles mcfarlandp Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 01-31-2011 04:35 PM
Advice On Ss Kettles!!! axr Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-26-2009 04:26 PM
A question about brew kettles apilot7 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 05-09-2006 01:40 AM
Brew Kettles and water heaters Brew_Barron Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 05-13-2005 03:51 PM


Forum Jump