Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Possible efficiency concern ??

Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #11
SAS98M
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ale update-A little over 24hrs. since pitching and the Nottingham yeast likes what it's been fed....Very vigerous ferment going on with an inch of krausen ,it appears to have foamed up into the carboy neck and no further. All is goin'well at this time.
I will address the grain crush prior to the next ale batch,I do have a batch of wheat grains pre-ground in a bag now(ground by the same LHBS) waiting to be done; How can I tell if the grind is satisfactory ?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #12
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You will have to take out a good sample (whole kernels sink and flousr rises to the top) and examine the crush. Are there whole grains that are not cracked? Are there hulls and such that are completely pulverized? You have to reach in and take out a good representative sample and sift through it by hand and examine the kernels.

Pol

Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 AM   #13
stevenb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My last two brew sessions I got about a 50% effeciency, down from my average 60%. I have a brand new CrankandStein waiting for my next batch and I hope to see some improvement. Reading these forums have led me to believe I'm doing most everything right, it is the lack of husk seperation that has caused me to be in the low region.
That being said, I just tapped out a keg last night of some "low effeciency" IPA, and I thought it was one of the tastier beers I have made. I have the second keg of that batch now on tap. Perhaps once in awhile I can get a crappy crush and try to replicate what I once thought was going to be a disappointment.

On Tap- IPA and H20
Conditioning-10 gallons of IPA
Fermenting-5 gallons All Cascade APA

Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 AM   #14
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsellout
Why don't you buy a mill and stock up on grains?

Dan

I did, immediately after that bad experience we drove to a HBS in Amsterdam (4 hours away) but we spent the weekend there too, so wasn't just for my grains. Got tons of grains and a crusher for about 130 Euro, which is like ... mm.. 170ish dollars?