First All Grain - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
tshore
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 15


Well, just did my first All Grain. its my 3rd batch ever. I think i did a decent job, according to beersmith everything seems pretty on par. Only noticeable difference was my after boil was a little lower then expected. This brew is the Lakefront FixedGear American Red Ale. Figure I'll post a few pics of my process. Any tips, criticism or opinions are greatly appreciated!!

the grain

my 10gal mash tun

getting that grain on



2nd batch ever, IPA


thinking what steps I've forgotten

wort chiller i put together

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Hebby5
 
Hebby5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 146
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Nice! Great pics too. Got my 1st AG in last weekend. Just have to bottle, age, drink, enjoy, and repeat.

Hope your brew turns out well.

Chris

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
illinois
Posts: 1,883
Liked 159 Times on 135 Posts


I would say, don't sweat the OG being "a little low". You will get great beer in the end, and you will dial in your process over the next few batches anyway.

I love the "thinking about what steps I've forgotten" pic - this is an indespensible part of my process!

Are you crushing your own grains? I order mine pre-crushed, and my efficiency went up when I switched suppliers. YMMV.

Cheers!
__________________
~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
CidahMastah
 
CidahMastah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
, New York
Posts: 4,242
Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts


Glad to hear another person jumping to AG and figuring out that it really isn't rocket science; however it is a ton of fun.

Great job
__________________
Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
tshore
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
I would say, don't sweat the OG being "a little low". You will get great beer in the end, and you will dial in your process over the next few batches anyway.

I love the "thinking about what steps I've forgotten" pic - this is an indespensible part of my process!

Are you crushing your own grains? I order mine pre-crushed, and my efficiency went up when I switched suppliers. YMMV.

Cheers!
I should have re-read what i wrote, I actually meant my after boil wort volume was a little low. I shocked myself and got my gravity spot on. To answer your question though about grains, they were pre-crush, I ran them through the mill at the local home brew shop. Thanks for the advice though!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
tshore
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebby5 View Post
Nice! Great pics too. Got my 1st AG in last weekend. Just have to bottle, age, drink, enjoy, and repeat.

Hope your brew turns out well.

Chris
Same to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Glad to hear another person jumping to AG and figuring out that it really isn't rocket science; however it is a ton of fun.

Great job
Yea, after reading on here over and over of the different steps then googling words lol. I thought might as try, worst case its not the best batch, but would still be better then some bottled brands lol.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First foray into All Grain - Is my grain bill too weak? Bradinator All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 02-22-2011 01:17 AM
Reducing water/lb grain for larger grain bills? Tall_Yotie All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 11-25-2010 01:55 AM
base grain to specialty malt grain ratios DudeBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 02-08-2009 07:22 PM
All-grain 2 gallon batch with grain bag: Questions TrojanAnteater All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 01-26-2009 01:55 PM
Good Grain Absorption Factor and Water/Grain Ratio? Mr. Mojo Rising All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 03-13-2008 05:28 PM


Forum Jump