Spike Brewing Giveaway - New v3 Kettle

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain

Old 11-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
tshore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First All Grain

Well, just did my first All Grain. its my 3rd batch ever. I think i did a decent job, according to beersmith everything seems pretty on par. Only noticeable difference was my after boil was a little lower then expected. This brew is the Lakefront FixedGear American Red Ale. Figure I'll post a few pics of my process. Any tips, criticism or opinions are greatly appreciated!!

the grain

my 10gal mash tun

getting that grain on

2nd batch ever, IPA

thinking what steps I've forgotten

wort chiller i put together

Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Hebby5
Recipes 

Nice! Great pics too. Got my 1st AG in last weekend. Just have to bottle, age, drink, enjoy, and repeat.

Hope your brew turns out well.

Chris

Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would say, don't sweat the OG being "a little low". You will get great beer in the end, and you will dial in your process over the next few batches anyway.

I love the "thinking about what steps I've forgotten" pic - this is an indespensible part of my process!

Are you crushing your own grains? I order mine pre-crushed, and my efficiency went up when I switched suppliers. YMMV.

Cheers!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Glad to hear another person jumping to AG and figuring out that it really isn't rocket science; however it is a ton of fun.

Great job

Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
tshore
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
I would say, don't sweat the OG being "a little low". You will get great beer in the end, and you will dial in your process over the next few batches anyway.

I love the "thinking about what steps I've forgotten" pic - this is an indespensible part of my process!

Are you crushing your own grains? I order mine pre-crushed, and my efficiency went up when I switched suppliers. YMMV.

Cheers!
I should have re-read what i wrote, I actually meant my after boil wort volume was a little low. I shocked myself and got my gravity spot on. To answer your question though about grains, they were pre-crush, I ran them through the mill at the local home brew shop. Thanks for the advice though!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
tshore
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebby5 View Post
Nice! Great pics too. Got my 1st AG in last weekend. Just have to bottle, age, drink, enjoy, and repeat.

Hope your brew turns out well.

Chris
Same to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Glad to hear another person jumping to AG and figuring out that it really isn't rocket science; however it is a ton of fun.

Great job
Yea, after reading on here over and over of the different steps then googling words lol. I thought might as try, worst case its not the best batch, but would still be better then some bottled brands lol.