Celebration Ale - 2011 - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Celebration Ale - 2011

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #21
Comos
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Conroe, TX
Posts: 31


Bought a sixer tonight. It's better than i remembered it being last year. Good stuff!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
Baja_Brewer
 
Baja_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Posts: 2,794
Liked 138 Times on 107 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltnHops View Post
Sam's Club had 12 packs for $12 and change, so I picked one up. I really love this beer and look forward to it when it comes out each year.
$12?! I would stock up on so many 12's. Guess that is a benefit of living in the same state as the brewery.
__________________
Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
HopPhish
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Stratford, NJ
Posts: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Brewer View Post
$12?! I would stock up on so many 12's. Guess that is a benefit of living in the same state as the brewery.
I picked up 12 for $16 plus tax on Saturday and I was happy to pay that. For 12 bucks I might have bought out the store. I can't get enough of this stuff, I place it second only to Nugget Nectar which you can easily pay $12 for a 6 pack.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #24
kpr121
 
kpr121's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,150
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts


I look forward to its release every year as well, and have already picked up a case of it ($34 if I can remember) a couple days ago.

Although it is still really good, I am having a hard time getting past that soapy hoppiness. I am picking those tones up more this year than I remember in the past (maybe it’s my palette changing). Does anyone know where that is coming from? I’m thinking the Centennial but not sure.

I have a 12 pack from last year’s release so I am planning to try side by side with this years, I put a couple in the fridge last night.

Oh, and I am positive it is not my glass cleaning process, I tried a few different hand washed glasses and even one that was only rinsed with scalding water and got the same taste on all of them.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #25
Meshuggah
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Posts: 30
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Fantastic brew. I've never really gotten into it before, so I'm glad I finally did. It really is the quintessential IPA to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Although it is still really good, I am having a hard time getting past that soapy hoppiness. I am picking those tones up more this year than I remember in the past (maybe it’s my palette changing). Does anyone know where that is coming from? I’m thinking the Centennial but not sure.
Strange, I don't perceive the soapiness at all; not in Celebration at least. It's overwhelming in their pale ale though. However, it's still good, but that quality does throw me off.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #26
Baja_Brewer
 
Baja_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Posts: 2,794
Liked 138 Times on 107 Posts


I'm not getting any soapiness either. Bought my 6th 12 pack the other night- intend to have some to do a vertical next year. Haven't been able to keep my hand off to this point.
__________________
Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #27
permo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
North Dakota
Posts: 2,952
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts


I had 3 bottles last night and two tonight (just to make sure before I posted), and I must say I find the brew very underwhelming from a hop standpoint this year. Faint pine/citrus aroma and flavor and just a general lack of "focus" for lack of a better term. Nothing really stands out. In years past I remember thinking "WHOA, that is a hoppy, rich, big IPA".....it is rich and malty this year with plenty of ABV and body, but where are my HOPS!!! I will give another 12 pack a try and then move on to something else......

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #28
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
, Wa
Posts: 709
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by permo
I had 3 bottles last night and two tonight (just to make sure before I posted), and I must say I find the brew very underwhelming from a hop standpoint this year. Faint pine/citrus aroma and flavor and just a general lack of "focus" for lack of a better term. Nothing really stands out. In years past I remember thinking "WHOA, that is a hoppy, rich, big IPA".....it is rich and malty this year with plenty of ABV and body, but where are my HOPS!!! I will give another 12 pack a try and then move on to something else......
I second that

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew Talk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #29
madbaldman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Central Florida
Posts: 272
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


My local grocery has been selling it for $13 a 12 pack. I've been downing a bit much of it lately. This needs to be a regular brew and not a seasonal. I'm a bit surprised they made the Torpedo a regular brew and held the Celebration as seasonal.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #30
hollywoodbrew
Recipes 
 
May 2010
hollywood
Posts: 101
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts


  • 13 lbs. - Marris Otter
  • 1 lbs. - British Dark Crystal 80L
  • 0.75 lbs - CaraPils
  • 1oz Chinook (60 mins)
  • 1oz Centennial (15 mins)
  • 1oz Cascade (15 mins)
  • 1oz Centennial (DryHop)
  • 1oz Cascade (DryHop)

I like to age this one a while, like a lager. The hops will mellow and the malt really comes through nicely.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's a celebration! KayaBrew General Beer Discussion 10 11-16-2011 04:21 PM
Is SN Celebration Ale out for 2010 yet? JeffBeck General Beer Discussion 2 10-21-2010 08:15 PM
My New Years Celebration ! ! ! thantos General Beer Discussion 2 01-01-2010 10:21 PM
Celebration Drinking jb6923 General Beer Discussion 4 11-06-2009 04:55 AM
Celebration! clemson55 General Beer Discussion 12 04-09-2008 04:45 PM


Forum Jump