Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Celebration Ale - 2011

Old 11-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #21
Comos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Bought a sixer tonight. It's better than i remembered it being last year. Good stuff!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltnHops View Post
Sam's Club had 12 packs for $12 and change, so I picked one up. I really love this beer and look forward to it when it comes out each year.
$12?! I would stock up on so many 12's. Guess that is a benefit of living in the same state as the brewery.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #23
HopPhish
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Brewer View Post
$12?! I would stock up on so many 12's. Guess that is a benefit of living in the same state as the brewery.
I picked up 12 for $16 plus tax on Saturday and I was happy to pay that. For 12 bucks I might have bought out the store. I can't get enough of this stuff, I place it second only to Nugget Nectar which you can easily pay $12 for a 6 pack.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #24
kpr121
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I look forward to its release every year as well, and have already picked up a case of it ($34 if I can remember) a couple days ago.

Although it is still really good, I am having a hard time getting past that soapy hoppiness. I am picking those tones up more this year than I remember in the past (maybe it’s my palette changing). Does anyone know where that is coming from? I’m thinking the Centennial but not sure.

I have a 12 pack from last year’s release so I am planning to try side by side with this years, I put a couple in the fridge last night.

Oh, and I am positive it is not my glass cleaning process, I tried a few different hand washed glasses and even one that was only rinsed with scalding water and got the same taste on all of them.

Primary: "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:
Dirt Wolf II, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Oberon Clone, IPA, Centennial Blonde, Kolsch

Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #25
Meshuggah
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fantastic brew. I've never really gotten into it before, so I'm glad I finally did. It really is the quintessential IPA to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Although it is still really good, I am having a hard time getting past that soapy hoppiness. I am picking those tones up more this year than I remember in the past (maybe it’s my palette changing). Does anyone know where that is coming from? I’m thinking the Centennial but not sure.
Strange, I don't perceive the soapiness at all; not in Celebration at least. It's overwhelming in their pale ale though. However, it's still good, but that quality does throw me off.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #26
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm not getting any soapiness either. Bought my 6th 12 pack the other night- intend to have some to do a vertical next year. Haven't been able to keep my hand off to this point.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #27
permo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had 3 bottles last night and two tonight (just to make sure before I posted), and I must say I find the brew very underwhelming from a hop standpoint this year. Faint pine/citrus aroma and flavor and just a general lack of "focus" for lack of a better term. Nothing really stands out. In years past I remember thinking "WHOA, that is a hoppy, rich, big IPA".....it is rich and malty this year with plenty of ABV and body, but where are my HOPS!!! I will give another 12 pack a try and then move on to something else......

Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #28
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo
I had 3 bottles last night and two tonight (just to make sure before I posted), and I must say I find the brew very underwhelming from a hop standpoint this year. Faint pine/citrus aroma and flavor and just a general lack of "focus" for lack of a better term. Nothing really stands out. In years past I remember thinking "WHOA, that is a hoppy, rich, big IPA".....it is rich and malty this year with plenty of ABV and body, but where are my HOPS!!! I will give another 12 pack a try and then move on to something else......
I second that

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew Talk

Old 11-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #29
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My local grocery has been selling it for $13 a 12 pack. I've been downing a bit much of it lately. This needs to be a regular brew and not a seasonal. I'm a bit surprised they made the Torpedo a regular brew and held the Celebration as seasonal.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #30
hollywoodbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Here's how I'll be doing it tomorrow

• 13 lbs. - Marris Otter
  • 1 lbs. - British Dark Crystal 80L
  • 0.75 lbs - CaraPils
  • 1oz Chinook (60 mins)
  • 1oz Centennial (15 mins)
  • 1oz Cascade (15 mins)
  • 1oz Centennial (DryHop)
  • 1oz Cascade (DryHop)

I like to age this one a while, like a lager. The hops will mellow and the malt really comes through nicely.