Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Keezer defrost issue / question

Old 11-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
GryphonBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Keezer defrost issue / question

So I may be able to get a great deal on a 23 cuft deep freezer. The only issue is that the owner says "it freezes great for about a month and then defrosts itself"... Any idea if that will matter at all with what I'll be using it for? Since it's never actually going to be freezing anyway? If it still did this "defrost" once per month thing would that ruin my beer by heating it up? Not really sure what else to ask. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1842 Times on 1450 Posts

They might exist, but I've never heard of a deep freezer that has a designed-in defrost cycle, and frankly it doesn't make much sense to me. I'd suspect a nascent problem with the starter electronics...

Cheers!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
skipper1953
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Just to be sure, are you referring to a chest freezer or an upright freezer? Either one can be referred to as a "deep" freezer. If it is a chest freezer, I would agree with day_trippr.

I don't think it would have any effect on your beer if it does have a built in defrost cycle. The temps in the freezer would most likely not rise much above your set temperature. I can't imagine it would be too difficult or costly to disable the defrost function.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
GryphonBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good stuff thanks! It is a CHEST style freezer. I hadn't heard of that function before either. And if I understand the way that the new temp probe will opperate my keezer, it won't let the freezer turn on to do anything but run when needed to drop down to the temp I set it at... Correct?