Newcastle Winter IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddO

Reaction score
Did a search but found nothing? Saw these in the store and wondering if anyone has tried them and had an opinion. Worth trying? Hated the Werewolf Red they released recently but kind of like (but never buy) the brown.

Whats up with their website btw. Awful.

I had it a couple weeks ago and wasn't really impressed. I thought the werewolf was better to be honest. The IPA didn't have much bitterness and really none of the citrusy aroma I've come to expect from American IPAs. Obviously it's a brittish IPA, so maybe it's true to style but just not to my liking.

It's crap. Since I am from San Diego, this is like the Bud Light of IPA's. It isn't really bitter at all, has no hop aroma, and is generally weak tasting. It TASTES like a "Newcastle IPA" would. I guess what I mean is, have a standard Newcastle, and then go, what would an IPA Newcastle taste like, and this is it, but worse. LOL. Did that even make sense?

The bottles are great because they are a unique shape and don't have the stupid engraving on them -- best part of buying the 12er.

Hopefully it comes in clear bottles just like their sh*tty brown ale so it gets exposed to lots of light.

Hopefully it comes in clear bottles just like their sh*tty brown ale so it gets exposed to lots of light.

No it actually comes in a cool unmarked brown bottle. Great bottles actually.

I would buy another 12er just for the bottles.

I'm about eight into a 12-pack and I like it. I expected something fairly hoppy with maybe a spiced kick to it.
What I've found is a nice, mellow IPA that is very, very drinkable.
In fact, only reason I found this thread was because I searched to see if anyone had a clone on it.

KayaBrew said:

The brown ale only comes in cans here, and it's pretty nice stuff.

It seems like it may be much more along the English IPA lines by all descriptions...

Any English IPA fan had it and compared it to Samuel Smith or another good English IPA style? Also, anyone have any English IPAs they'd recommend trying so I can get an idea of the style?

I love (love) American IPA, but it's not the only thing out there to me, and I really want to branch out a bit more, maybe break myself of my hop addiction. Not a big fan of Newcastle Brown, but it is drinkable. May have to try this if it's still kicking around when I get back to a place that has good beer. I might get lucky and see it in the exchange here in Bahrain, but I won't hold my breath.

:off:

My Skeeter Pee looks AWESOME in the clear bottles and what is not to like about "the one and only" on the shoulder??? at least I did not have to drink them to get the bottles!

It's crap. Since I am from San Diego, this is like the Bud Light of IPA's. It isn't really bitter at all, has no hop aroma, and is generally weak tasting. It TASTES like a "Newcastle IPA" would. I guess what I mean is, have a standard Newcastle, and then go, what would an IPA Newcastle taste like, and this is it, but worse. LOL. Did that even make sense?

The bottles are great because they are a unique shape and don't have the stupid engraving on them -- best part of buying the 12er.

So in other words, you don't know what an English IPA is supposed to taste like.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
So in other words, you don't know what an English IPA is supposed to taste like.

I do, but even then it fell flat. Plenty of other much better EIPAs.

I didn't care for it, but then again I'm not from San Diego, so what do I know. LOL

To OP, why not give it a try and decide for yourself?

Happy Turkey & Beer Day everyone!!

It seems like it may be much more along the English IPA lines by all descriptions...

Any English IPA fan had it and compared it to Samuel Smith or another good English IPA style? Also, anyone have any English IPAs they'd recommend trying so I can get an idea of the style?

I love (love) American IPA, but it's not the only thing out there to me, and I really want to branch out a bit more, maybe break myself of my hop addiction. Not a big fan of Newcastle Brown, but it is drinkable. May have to try this if it's still kicking around when I get back to a place that has good beer. I might get lucky and see it in the exchange here in Bahrain, but I won't hold my breath.

I don't know if '400 pound Monkey' from Left Hand Brewing Co. is to style, but I do love that beer.

Latest posts

Back