Listening to "Big Band" music - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Listening to "Big Band" music

Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 608 Times on 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I'd like to say I love Big Band music, but I had the fortune to listen to about 2 hours of it while I cooked pancakes for my kids' Band Boosters Breakfast benefit and I enjoyed it for about 5 minutes. At least some of the tunes were catchy. BWBB of Company B, etc.

I guess it beats Country...

Maybe this was a marching band? That is something completely different. If it was a "standard" big band, I don't think I'd want to listen to a bunch of kids trying to swing either.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Palefire

Recipes 

Jun 2009
SF, CA
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Check out the three records (two studio, one live) Sinatra made with Basie's band. There's not a drummer alive who swings harder than Sonny Payne does here. Sinatra's singing's as loose as it ever was.

This is about as good as it gets, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-Basie-...1292785&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Might-As-Well-...1292735&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-At-San...ref=pd_sim_m_2

Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2196 Times on 1377 Posts

I stumbled across a YouTube link for Glenn Miller. It links to 60 of his songs that play one right after the other. I'm listening to the music, page minimized and working on my kegorator redesign.

Which will just be a bigger version of my old one and have four taps, two cheapies and 2 Perlick 525SS and enough room inside for six kegs. Simple but I like it. It will still stay in the garage with the bikes. Thinking, more like dreaming of giving the garage a makeover with a Harley Davidson theme. If I had it my way the garage would be akin to an HD showroom if not for money.

Thinking about serving carbonated water from one of the cheap faucets and rootbeer out of the other, but then again that would mean another reg and more money.. Maybe I'll just dream about that one a while longer.

I haven't brewed all summer and the homebrew supply ran dry long ago. Being one to save the best things for last; tonight I cleaned the last two keg donors, QDs, beer line and disassembled the faucets (they were solidly glued closed with old beer) Cleaned the fridge and will spend the next few nights prepping it for paint and surfing the web looking for the best price on the Perlicks.

Below is a pic of my old kegerator and link to the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

Glenn Miller

Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
mbauer013
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I LOVE Big band music, if you like the Basie/Sinatra records, check out some of Sinatra's early stuff with Tommy Dorsey. Screaming Jay Hawkins is another favorite, although he may not be truley "big band". Louis Prima is always good too.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5011 Times on 3382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Maybe this was a marching band? That is something completely different. If it was a "standard" big band, I don't think I'd want to listen to a bunch of kids trying to swing either.
No it was a CD (or iPod) with Big Band tunes and some swing stuff.

The next year the new band director has some of the kids play their solo and ensemble stuff though.

FWIW I loaded up a Glen Miller Best of playlist in Spotify and I'm checking it out again. We'll see....

I forgot to mention that both band directors played trombone in school, so they were very much into brass instrumentation.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach

We are very fortunate here in SoCal to have an excellent Big Band broadcast. "The Swingin' Years," airs every Sat and Sun from 6-10 AM. Chuck Cecil, the host, has a ginourmous collection of recordings and interviews from the era.

You can stream it if you are so inclined...
http://www.jazzandblues.org/programm...=Chuck%20Cecil

Old 09-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Sevenal
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Atlantic Beach, NC
Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

New age Big Band - Simply Great!

Dan Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach

Setzer has a fine band. Please do not sue the term "New Age" to describe it. That is an entirely different, and hideous, beast.

(sorry, I get hung up on semantics)

Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

I'm not a big band fan, but it has my respect. I would listen to some if there were more time.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Liked 2979 Times on 1726 Posts

On Sunday mornings, tune into the online stream from the Milwaukee School of Engineering's radio station, WMSE. The host, a guy named Dewey Gill, puts on three hours of the best Big Band music you've ever heard.

Sometimes he plays from his huge record collection and comes on between songs to draw from his vast knowledge about the bands. Sometimes he plays old recordings of radio shows, like USO shows with the Jackie Gleason orchestra, etc. Sometimes he throws in old commercials. (Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble choose Winston cigarettes, build your new home for $5,000, etc.)

Anyway, WMSE.org, Sundays from 9-noon CST.

Revvy Likes This