Mr. Beer Oatmeal Stout Recipe - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mr. Beer Oatmeal Stout Recipe

Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
silent1mezzo
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Burlington, ON

This is my first recipe so any critique you can give me would be awesome. This will be for a 2 gallon batch (regular Mr. Beer batch)
  • 1 can of Mr. Beer St. Patricks Stout
  • 2lb of Briess Dark DME
  • 2 cups of Roasted Oats
  • 1 oz of Cascade Hops (0.5oz at 60min, 0.5oz at 5min)
  • Yeast, no idea. I know I don't want to use the yeast that comes with Mr. Beer

Steps:
  1. Steep oats for 30 min at 160F in 1gal of water
  2. Add DME and HME and bring to a boil
  3. Add 0.5oz of Cascade hops at 60min
  4. Add 0.5oz of Cascade hops at 5min
  5. Add 1 gallon of cold water to Mr. Beer Keg
  6. Cool wort and add to Keg.
  7. Aerate and pitch yeast

Is this a good recipe? Am I missing anything? Any and all help is much appreciated

Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Christiansted, St Croix, USVI, US Virgin Islands
Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts

Oats cannot be efficiently used in brewing unless mashed. Steeping does very, very little that's useful, and really just nets you a steaming pile of glop. You may extract a tiny bit of flavor, but not enough to trade off for the large amount of foam-killing fats and oils.

If you wanted to partial-mash your oats with a pound of 2-row, you CAN use your oats! If you can hold a steep at 160F for 30 minutes, you can hold it at 152-155F for 30 minutes. Then proceed as normal. In fact, you may be able to omit the DME at that point (unless your intent is to make a VERY strong beer).

I recommend you ferment with S-05.

Cheers!

Bob

Old 11-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
silent1mezzo
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Burlington, ON

Thanks Bob

Is the difference between mashing and steeping the temperature? This is my first time doing something other straight mr. Beer

Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Nov 2007

Temperature and the amount of liquor. Steeping is dependent on neither, though there is an optimum temperature range.

Too much liquor* will impede a mash, and so will too little. 1-2 quarts of liquor per pound of grist is a good range, and it's possible to predict how hot you must make that liquor before adding it to the grist (or vice versa); it must be hotter because there will be a temperature drop at that time.

Mashing theory is too large a subject to outline here. I suggest you read the relevant section of How to Brew for in-depth mashing technique. For your purposes, however, DeathBrewer wrote a fantabulous introduction to stove-top partial mashing. Read and follow it, and you won't go wrong at all! Easy as pie!

Cheers,

Bob

* Brewers don't use water in beer. Water is for cleaning! As soon as it becomes earmarked for beer, water becomes liquor. It's magic, is jargon.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
truckndad
Recipes 

Mar 2010
nine mile falls, wa
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Another thing is that with Mr Beer, things like the Stout have the hops in the extract. By boiling it, you'll change the hop profile of the HME. If I were you, I'd boil the DME, do your hop additions, then mix in the Mr Beer HME in the last couple minutes.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
Bob
Recipes 

Nov 2007

Good advice.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
MDVDuber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Elkton, MD
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This is where I was a couple years ago. Let me be the first of MANY to tell you that once you run out of MR Beer mixes - don't buy any more! It's way cheaper and almost always results in a better beer if you simply buy DME or LME and build from there. You can make some pretty good beers with Malt Extract and steeping specialty grains - Then upgrade to Death Brewer's method and before you know it you'll be sketching plans for a Keezer http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...ine-way-99753/and a fermentation chamber http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-...-build-102846/.... Don't ask how I know....

That said - have fun - and enjoy your own special creations as you go!