Need a favor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Can someone reassure me that no bubbling of the airlock on a gallon of apfelwein 8 hours later (overnight) just means I dont have that tight a seal on my improvised airlock?

I trudged for the first time out of breadyeast territory last night and Im scared I killed my yeasties.

No, I doubt that you killed your yeast, if it worked with bread yeast it'll work with the good stuff. I would recomend finding the leak so you can really see what's going on. If your used bread yeast, which is pretty active yeast compared to brew yeast, you may just be seeing the "lag time" some yeast info speaks of. Next time if you want to see more faster make a yeast starter, I love em!

8 hours is not enough time. They are still reproducing. If you don't see any activity after 48 hours, you can worry. In that case, just crack the bucket and look for physical signs of fermentation.

phew... thanks guys.

The ONE time I dont play my yeast some barry white and this happens. Learned my lesson.

Ok, actually... I do need talking down again... sorry all. It was bubbling like gangbusters up until last night, when it all but completely stalled. I have little bubbles in the jug but not nearly as many, and the airlock isnt really moving.

Do you think all is well??

Seriously. Calm down. The fermention is just slowing down. Sme wines ferment over a month, others over a couple of days. it really does vary.
Do you have a hydrometre?

Dicky

I do. I dont have the hydro reading with me, (Im at the office) but the recipe edworts's which I scaled down to 1 gallon. 1 gallon mott's apple juice, 7oz. corn sugar and montreacht champagne yeast....

Back