Blueberry mead. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Blueberry mead.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
usmctemple0311
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Anchorage/Oceanside, AK/CA
Posts: 8


Very happy to have bottled my 1st mead. SG 1.114 FG 1.028. I did just the mead to start for 2 weeks then racked it and split it. Half I added 5lbs of blueberries the other half I added one 24oz can of Blueberry concentrate and added nutrients to both. Let it go for another two weeks then racked them again into the same carboys. Got a nice swirl going and bottled it. The taste and aroma are much better than I expected. Next up, Lemon Ginger Buckwheat mead. Any suggestions???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
usmctemple0311
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Anchorage/Oceanside, AK/CA
Posts: 8

And I used Nottingham yeast. Going with a champagne yeast for the lemon ginger. I'll be doing a short term batch and a long term. To see how the flavor changes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
TitusCooker
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 27

Two thoughts. The first: Champagne yeast dries everything out, and leaves little body or flavor. I am not a fan of the off-tastes thrown by it, either. It'll dry it out to .995, or thereabouts.

Second: Buckwheat is a honey many (mainly judges) do not enjoy. I've seen many suggestions of keeping it down to 10% of the honey. I did a 100% buckwheat/cocoa mead in 07, and it wasn't really drinkable until recently. It's a very earthy taste that goes well with cocoa. Not sure how it would go with lemon and ginger, but it's worth trying!

As an aside, many people love my buckwheat metheglin, but it never scores above 38 in competitions (e.g., many judges don't!). Oh well.

best,
Titus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Athos710
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 20

The FG seems a little high to me for mead, but I may be used to the wine yeasts. Did the Notty just give up when you hit 11% ABV?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
ChandlerBang
 
ChandlerBang's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Earth
Posts: 3,044
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


I'm new to mead, so forgive maybe an obvious question. Are you bottling this at 4 weeks? Is that normal? I thought meads had to age for months or even a year. Could you post the recipe?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Struct View Post
I would've made a crayon schematic if I thought this was going to hang people up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
usmctemple0311
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Anchorage/Oceanside, AK/CA
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos710
The FG seems a little high to me for mead, but I may be used to the wine yeasts. Did the Notty just give up when you hit 11% ABV?
I believe it did due to the low temp in my garage. I would like to get it in the house to see how much longer I could keep it going. The airlock was bubbling every 20-24 seconds. After it being bottled for almost a week now my wife and I shared a bottle last night and it seems MUCH more potent. It's amazing the changes even after bottling. Still a wonderful melomel.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
usmctemple0311
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Anchorage/Oceanside, AK/CA
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBang
I'm new to mead, so forgive maybe an obvious question. Are you bottling this at 4 weeks? Is that normal? I thought meads had to age for months or even a year. Could you post the recipe?
This is my 1st batch of home brew and was very excited with the results I got. I believe the yeast gave up and was told that the flavor would continue to mature after bottling. It has! The blueberry still is impressive and the only downfall in my opinion is the sharpness to it. Not competition worthy but I'd like to perfect it after I get a few different batches in. My lemon ginger has been fermenting for 2 days now. Fingers crossed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Athos710
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 20

How big of a batch was this? I'd like to take a stab at it, but want to make sure I have the right ratio of fruit to gallons.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
usmctemple0311
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Anchorage/Oceanside, AK/CA
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusCooker
Two thoughts. The first: Champagne yeast dries everything out, and leaves little body or flavor. I am not a fan of the off-tastes thrown by it, either. It'll dry it out to .995, or thereabouts.

Second: Buckwheat is a honey many (mainly judges) do not enjoy. I've seen many suggestions of keeping it down to 10% of the honey. I did a 100% buckwheat/cocoa mead in 07, and it wasn't really drinkable until recently. It's a very earthy taste that goes well with cocoa. Not sure how it would go with lemon and ginger, but it's worth trying!

As an aside, many people love my buckwheat metheglin, but it never scores above 38 in competitions (e.g., many judges don't!). Oh well.

best,
Titus
I was told that with the champagne yeast so my short batch I used a California ale. I was also told that the buckwheat is very earthy but the lemon ginger mix goes well. I will be changing the honey up and MAYBE cutting a few lbs of it and add surgar. I've only read that in some recipes. It won 2nd place in a competitionback in 94 so I figure its worth a try. Thank you for the advice.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
FoundlingOfDollar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Austin, Tx
Posts: 101
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I would love to see your recipe for the first batch. Blueberry mead sounds great and I think your recipe could make a good starting point.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump