In May 2011, we brewed our first batch of gluten free beer - 5 gal -
orange honey ale
7 lb. Briess sorghum extract (60)
1 oz German Perle bitter hops (45)
6 oz. Lemon juice (about 2 lemons) (30)
1 lb. Wildflower honey (local is best) (20)
1 oz. Sweet orange peel (10)
1 oz. Mt Hood finishing hops (5)
11 g Nottingham yeast (Danstar)
3/4 c priming sugar
1. Add 2.5 gallons distilled water to brew pot.
2. Add 7 lb sorghum extract to pot. Bring to a boil. Stir to prevent scorching.
3. Place bitter hops in large tea ball (don’t compress). Add to brew pot when mix boils. Boil for 45 minutes.
4. Add lemon juice with 30 minutes remaining. Stir every 5 minutes.
5. Remove brew pot from heat. Add in honey and stir. Return to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes.
6. At 10 minutes, add the orange peel
7. At 5 minutes, add the finishing hops.
8. Cool wort in ice bath.
**Rehydrate yeast in 1 c warm water (95-105F). Pitch between 15 and 30 minutes.
Starting gravity was 1.56. Final gravity was 1.12. Final alcohol content was slightly strong at 5.8%.
After sharing this brew with several family and friends, they all agreed it was excellent. It turned out a lot like AB's Shock Top.
* Clean finish
* Crisp, refreshing taste
* Pleasant citrus and orange notes
* Good color
* Strong carbonation
* Less priming sugar
* Add more juice
* Try orange juice instead of lemon
* Add coriander?
This past weekend, we brewed a new batch - Pumpkin Spice and All Things Nice (5 Gal). It is in the first fermentation stage. Once it's bottled and fermented a second time (and we get some feed-back), I'll post that recipe, too.
- Maple Tree Brewing Company
- Gluten Free Diaries