Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Recent dads (and moms): any last minute advice?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
_JP_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Recent dads (and moms): any last minute advice?

Our first baby is scheduled to be delivered Friday morning (induced labor - Doctor's decision; wife has a very small frame; was 100lbs 5'0" before all this).

11-11-11 is a cool birthday, and only 5 days before her presumed due date. Stone's got an Epic brew for that day, I'll have to get my hands on some of it.

I bought a nice camcorder (don't know if I'll use it), and am packing my bags for the overnight stay tonight.

Nursery is ready. Crib's assembled. Car seat is installed.

I made a barleywine on my birthday 5 months ago for his arrival, and have the bottles in the fridge. Instead of a champagne toast, figured we'd do the beer thing. Wife's a big beer lover and of the foods she's had to abstain from, misses homebrew the most. We even formulated/brewed a special batch together ("Imperial" smoked Porter using our 1st year hops) and is on tap now for when she comes home.

Everyone says I should be nervous, but I'm not. Wife's doing great also (in fact, she's at work today and making sales calls driving around Atlanta).

Any last minute tips? Anything you weren't prepared for? Want to tell me Relax, don't worry....?

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 484

run.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

"A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 225

My advice:

Do Not Blink! you will miss something!

Learn to nap when the baby naps, otherwise you will be tired for a few months.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
learn to nap when the baby naps, otherwise you will be tired for a few years.
Fixed!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
acuenca
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Baby boy born on 10/11... Sleep as much as you can, go see movie in the theater, and get ready for mayhem.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
jpoder
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Congrats, and best of luck! sounds like you are in good shape. One of the things I find funny (after having been through it with 2 kids (now 6 and 4) is that people dwell on the actual birth process (classes, books, "birth plans") when in reality it is the one point in raising a child that you are surrounded by experts that have studied their whole professional lives on what to do should anything go wrong. I always tell people spend your time focusing on what comes next...when you are home alone and aren't surrounded by experts. Every baby is different...some are good sleepers, some are not (my kids both only would get up once a night, and at the 7 week mark started (and kept) sleeping through the night. There are times that babies can be frustrating (like when they are screaming at 3 AM for apparently no reason (listen to the Samuel L. Jackson reading of the kids book "Go the **** to Sleep" for some insight). just remember that it is nothing personal against you, and stay calm.

Most of all, enjoy it all. Every phase and milestone passes too quickly, and each one (that I have personally experienced so far) is even better than the last. Kids grow up in the blink of an eye (I sound like an old person).

Best of luck!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Fixed!
I am only starting month 4, he is just starting to sleep most of the night, only wakes once to drink an 8 oz bottle.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If you end up taking them, don't show the gory pictures & videos to all your coworkers and friends. Nobody wants to see the wife's hoo hoo in that condition.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I am only starting month 4, he is just starting to sleep most of the night, only wakes once to drink an 8 oz bottle.
Yeah, honestly, the sleeping thing does tend to get better, then other things crop up to wear you out!!!

To Parenthood!!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Take a DVD player, radio/mp3 player, games and other stuff to keep you busy before the kid is born. Induction isn't some magic button that says "make baby come out now".

There is nothing wrong with letting them take the baby to the nursery at night so you guys can rest. They will come wake you for feedings and stuff.