What to do with an old aquarium - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > What to do with an old aquarium

Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
killrmth
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Lawrence, KS

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. I am about to have an old 30ish gallon glass aquarium that housed my pet snake for years. I'm passing the ball python onto a friend and will have an empty tank that I was trying to think of a brewing related use for. I am an all-grain brewer and currently bottle but have been looking into getting a kegging system in a couple months. I was thinking about trying to use the aquarium for something kegging related but have been drawing blanks on what I could do with it. The only other accessory on the aquarium itself is a heating pad which I was going to use during fermentation in cold months. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, looking forward to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Binghamton, NY
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts

I can't really think of a use for it. You don't want to move it around much, it won't be able to take heat changes, and it wouldn't be a good fermenter.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Tinga
Recipes 

May 2010
MN
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

only thing I could see it work as is a reservoir for something like a glycol chiller or jockey box of something.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Smashing
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Kent/Brockport NY
Liked 147 Times on 103 Posts

Does it hold water? Incorporate it into ur keezer with fish and cool lights.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts

Hard to say.

If it is a true Aquarium and will hold near 30 gallons of water then maybe a glycol resevoir.

If it's just a basic terrarium then it's doubtful it will hold more than half the volume of water. There is usually a tag on teh bottom side with a disclaimer.