Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > did a diacetyl rest and still buttery

Old 11-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
BierStreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default did a diacetyl rest and still buttery

Did some searching but didn't a great answer so here it goes...
Brewed a lager, everything went great. OG was 1.058 threw it in the fridge at about 48 and krausen was formed by the next morning. Fermented in the fridge for 2 weeks and then pulled out for a diacetyl rest at 66-72ish left it for about 2 1/2 days took a gravity, 1.015 and it tasted good, maybe a slight buttery taste but not bad and since the gravity was pretty close to FG i transfered to the lager keg and cooled to about 40. that was about 2 weeks ago.

Anyway just tried a sample last night and it seems to have a stronger buttery flavor, should i let it finish lagering or take another course of action? I saved the yeast for the next lager, its wyeast 2053 and is in a bottle in the fridge so i could add a bit of that and hope it cleans it up. just a thought, thanks in advance!!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Let the carbed keg sit at room temperature for a week or two?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
944play
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Kraeusen it. Make a ~1L starter and add it to the keg once it starts fermenting.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
BierStreet
Recipes 

cool, i'll try moving it to room temp for a bit and try it, if its still buttery then i'll pitch some more yeast. It helps i have the yeast that came from this batch. I'm stumped how it got the diacetyl taste as it started fermenting cold and I did a rest and the gravity seems about right

Old 11-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had the same problem with a couple of my lagers. Krausening works. I've heard that small amounts of oxidation during transfer from fermenter to keg can cause diacetyl precursors to convert to diacetyl. The result is the presence of diacetyl in the keg/bottle that was not in the fermenter.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Do what 944 said; also for future reference you want to do your d-rest when SG is about 8-10 points above target FG. Your yeast must still be active for your d-rest to be effective. It's too late once you hit FG. Your hydrometer, not your calendar, is your guide for when it's time for a d-rest.

My experience fixing diacetyl: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/will-work-205761/

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 11-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

out of 6 lagers I brewed 5 had diacetyl showed up in a keg after lagering. Including my last batch of pilsner which sits right now for over a week @ room temp and diacetyl almost gone completely! Krausening does work but I had mixed results from it. Before you attempt to mess with krausening I suggest you let your keg to sit at room temperature for at least a week, better two. Turn it upside down couple of times to agitate yeast. It worked for me!! I cannot believe it

Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
BierStreet
Recipes 

I was worried that I did the rest a tad too late, Also when i transferred to the keg I carbed it and vented the oxygen out, it was only at about 3 psi. So right now its at room temp and i shook it up a bit, should i take it off the gas or leave it?

Also i tasted the beer that had separated from the yeast i collected, It didn't have a buttery taste at all. I hope the rest of it turns out that good

Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierStreet View Post
I was worried that I did the rest a tad too late, Also when i transferred to the keg I carbed it and vented the oxygen out, it was only at about 3 psi. So right now its at room temp and i shook it up a bit, should i take it off the gas or leave it?

Also i tasted the beer that had separated from the yeast i collected, It didn't have a buttery taste at all. I hope the rest of it turns out that good
You don't want the yeast under excessive pressure. It will kill them pretty quickly and then the processing of diacetyl will grind to a hault. Pressurize enough to seat the gaskets and no more. No need to shake the keg either, whatever active yeast that's there is there.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
You don't want the yeast under excessive pressure. It will kill them pretty quickly and then the processing of diacetyl will grind to a hault. Pressurize enough to seat the gaskets and no more. No need to shake the keg either, whatever active yeast that's there is there.
pressure will not kill yeast. My keg was already fully crabed (set & forget 12 psi) when I discovered diacetyl in keg. All I did is pulled keg out of freezer and left at room temperature shaking it once in a while to resuspend yeast. It worked. I just placed that keg back to serving freezer, no more diacetyl