Help me make the reddest beer that was ever red - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help me make the reddest beer that was ever red

Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #21
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Feb 2011
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Raspberries?

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
teucer
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Durham, NC
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
Experience: Beets must be pureed and even then will make the beer murky. Roasted barley @ 15 min left in mash will give red color. 60/40% mis of 60L & 120L has worked the best so far but adds more crystal.
Huh, I wouldn't have expected a crystal blend to get you a good red - I'm used to thinking of the lighter crystals as very yellow, and the darker ones as brown.

How much of this mix do you use? How much roasted barley?

(I'm still thinking in terms of orange, myself - I want something vividly orange by the time soccer season starts up again, because it's my local team's color - but if I can produce vivid reds and vivid yellows I can blend and come up with a recipe that way.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
OH
Liked 941 Times on 645 Posts

My 11/11/11 Gun Stock ale turned out pretty red. The pic below is from brew day. Since then, it has dropped completely clear and is a gorgeous deep garnet red (and has much less brown than is shown in the hydrometer sample). Is that the shade of red you're going for?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #24
BainbridgeBrewer
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Bainbridge Island, WA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Actually, raspberries might work. Although then you'd have a fruit flavored beer. I made a blackberry wheat this summer using 9 lbs of fresh berries and it came out absolutely purple.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #25
Boy
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Mt Hood, Oregon
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teucer View Post
Huh, I wouldn't have expected a crystal blend to get you a good red - I'm used to thinking of the lighter crystals as very yellow, and the darker ones as brown.

(I'm still thinking in terms of orange, myself - I want something vividly orange by the time soccer season starts up again, because it's my local team's color - but if I can produce vivid reds and vivid yellows I can blend and come up with a recipe that way.
Something like 10oz 60L to 8oz 120L. Like I said, around a 60/40 blend worked very well. But I would combine this with a small add of roast barley. This mix was used for a amber ale so for an ipa I'd go lighter on the crystal and add roast barley

BoatBrewer Likes This 
Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #26
terrapinj
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts

just grabbed this from the other thread using blue coloring

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/bl...rom-japan.html

Quote:
The red beer contains anthocyans, natural pigments found in plants and fruit.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #27
paradoxic
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Chicago, il

Cherry juice?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #28
emjay
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teucer

Orange is pretty easy. A ton of Vienna with an extended boil should really help. The most vividly orange beers tend to be saisons.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #29
Zorin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts

From a chef point of view, you could use saffron and this can be ordered off of amazon.com and a little goes a long way. You could make your mash water and HTL from it. I've been wanting to try making a saffron ale, but haven't had the time. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #30
Bradinator
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Calgary, AB
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

These are all some really great ideas. Hibiscus tea is something I think I can get. Pomegranates, though possibly the worlds most annoying and messy fruit, may add an interesting flavour as well as increase the redness.

Safflower, Hibiscus, Pomegranate Ale?

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews