mikes hard cranberry lemonade clone wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I havent posted here in a loooooong time as I havent had any internet service for many many many reasons any how I am getting back into brewing as I have finished my home brew system and am gearing up for alot of summer brewing I now can brew 24 gallons a day in just about the same time it used to take me to brew 12. That said I am looking for a clone recipe for mikes hard cranberry lemonade for my wife. any suggestions would be helpful.
Cheers:mug:
JJ

NYeric said:
I couldn't find yoopers lemonade recipe

Hard lemonade is easy- but I did have trouble with getting fermentation started. My recipe (along with my notes and other's input) is in this thread: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12104&highlight=hard+lemonade

Someone else around here (rdwj or Rod?, Pumbaa?) uses DME in it as well, for a real "malt beverage" like Mike's. I think that sounds really, really good!

I like the sounds of the malt. What kind of sugar worked best? As far as malt goes how much was used or was all the sugar replaced with malt?

I think he used 1 pound of DME, maybe in place of some of the sugar. I can't remember, try a search for hard lemonade malt or ask one of them. My memory is failing me in my old age!

I use regular sugar in all of my wine recipes, unless it specifically calls for something different.

thanks for the input here is what I am going to do from all your input
7 cans of consentrated lemonade
3 cans of concentrated cranberry juice
2.5 lb of corn sugar
2lb light DME
yeast energizer
yeast nutrient
camton tabs
sorbate
cotes de blonc yeast
any more advice is much appreciated
Lorena
shoot me an e mail I have a long over due package I need to send out your way.
It will be worth the wait!! there is no good excuses for the the delay on my part.
cheers
JJ

Dumb question, JJ, but you are going to use the sorbate after fermentation is over, to stabilize if you're sweetening, right?

(I know you know this, I just want the recipe to be clear for all of us, too)

I kinda need the instructions baby steps....I am not to the point of just being able to wing it.

If any one has a chance to break it down, sure would appreciate it:)

yep thats right. but isent that what the camton tabs do as well they just need the the sorbate to stabalize with the camton tabs???
Cheers
JJ

Well, not exactly. Sorbate actually interferes with the reproduction of yeast, so you use it to ensure no renewed fermentation when you sweeten. Campden (sulfite) doesn't really affect wine yeast but it inhibits bacterial growth as well as wild yeasts and helps keep the wine from oxidizing. So you can use Campden during primary fermentation (and I do with my fruit wines, for example) and at every other racking. You can actually measure the so2 if you have the equipment and try to keep it at something like 50 ppm.

But sorbate is used once, and it works better in the presence of campden. So they are used in conjunction to stabilize the wine before bottling if sweetening is desired. Sorbate without campden at times can cause some problems- like a geranium smell. For wines that I ferment and keep dry, I don't use sorbate. But I always use campden!

well ok. thanks for the clearification I would have botched that one.
Lorena
is there any other YEAST you would recomend that will finish not so dry??
JJ

Unfortunately not. Most wine yeasts have an alcohol tolerance of at least 15% alcohol, so I think they will all take it to dry. The cotes de blanc should bring out the fruitiness of the lemonade, though, and then you can sweeten with sugar or lactose, or even splenda, after stabilizing. If you want it carbonated, you'll probably not want to sorbate- you'd sweeten with splenda or lactose, prime and bottle. If it's going to be still, you can sorbate/campden and then sweeten.

Hopefully, that all makes sense! If not, feel free to ask me any questions. Sometimes I'm not very clear when I try to explain things!

Back