Is it Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1kingsbrew

Reaction score
When I racked to the secondary my beer had a very strong smell of alcohol (like rubbing alcohol). It is only a cherry wheat so the ABV will be relatively low. I've had trouble with a prior batch of cherry wheat that I suspected was bad and it got tossed out. I guess I'm overly sensitive about this one. Also, the foam on top has a very slimy look to it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. I only have limited access since I just opened the free account over the weekend (or I would put up a picture). Quick question: Do cherry wheats take a long time to condition compared to say an IPA? I ask because I have one batch bottled (been in the bottle for 11 days) that just doesn't taste like I thought it would, and I'm hoping that with time this will change. What's your experience? Thanks for the help, I've only made 3 other beers since starting homebrew.

I am new to brewing (sorta) and I know how hard it is to wait for conditioning. But 11 days in the bottle is NOTHING. Wait it out at least 14, make sure it is chilled and it will only get better with age!

Excellent! I appreciate the comments guys. As I'm new to brewing, any advice and/or suggestions are welcomed with open ears.

Back