Color change from fermentation? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Color change from fermentation?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
kmonty
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Chicago, IL

Just brewed the Weizen recipe from Brewing Classic Styles using extract. Used two cans of Wheat LME and added a pound of Wheat DME to six-gallons. Got the pre-boil gravity and OG numbers right but the color is not. Was expecting yellow but instead have more of an orange color in the hydrometer.

The question is: would the color change to a lighter color after fermentation, or is what I see the final appearance?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
wiescins
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Chicago, IL
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonty View Post
Just brewed the Weizen recipe from Brewing Classic Styles using extract. Used two cans of Wheat LME and added a pound of Wheat DME to six-gallons. Got the pre-boil gravity and OG numbers right but the color is not. Was expecting yellow but instead have more of an orange color in the hydrometer.

The question is: would the color change to a lighter color after fermentation, or is what I see the final appearance?

Thanks!
i would not expect to see a color reduction, typically when using extract you get a darker color than AG. won't make a difference, your beer will still be good.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Christianb17
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wiescins is right. color from extract is off most of the time but the taste should still be good. It might clarify a little in the secondary but it will be virtually the same

Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
kmonty
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiescins

i would not expect to see a color reduction, typically when using extract you get a darker color than AG. won't make a difference, your beer will still be good.
Well, as long as it's tasty, that's good for me!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
tallgirl
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Austin, TX

You might have burned the sugars a little and what you're seeing is caramel color diluted by the volume.

But as others have said, if it tastes good, DON'T COMPLAIN!