Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Confused by Fermentation

Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
Illini17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Confused by Fermentation

Sorry, tried to wade through the fermentation sticky but didn't have a ton of luck with this particular oddity for me. Started a beer in the primary six days ago with an OG of 1.050 and have had zero blowoff, to the point that the lid of the bucket doestn't bow up at all from pressure. I checked the gravity today to see if there was SOME movement and it's actually down to 1.015, which is damn close to final. I'm confused...I realize that blowoff isn't always a sign of fermentation, but I can't imagine the beer got down this much in such a short amount of time without any co2 coming out. I was worried I had a sanitation issue, but now I have no clue what happened and I'm a little apprehensive to even bottle eventually. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with this? I've done about ten home brew batches and have never had a situation like this.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Illini17
Recipes 

PS, the lid was on tight...that was the first thing I checked (and the only explanation I've seen on the board thus far). Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Cimerian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The CO2 all went out the airlock. you really do not want a blow off to happen. It would cause a huge mess. The lid bowing up to me would be worrisome I'm about to have a bang go off. After you reach FG you know your done. The gravity is the best way to determine fermentation. Once it's fermented by gravity just bottle it.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
moose123
Recipes 

What yeast

Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
smashed4
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You use a blow-off tube or an airlock? Not quite sure if you are confusing the two here..

If you have the tinyest crack anywhere co2 will escape from it and you wont see activity.

You sound pretty impatient / curious. Get a glass or plastic carboy or clear plastic bucket next time so you can watch the fermentation go!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
Hopper450
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your gravity dropped, then your batch fermented and co2 was produced. I would say your seal was not airtight even if the lid was tight. Alternatives, it went out the airlock or you had sufficient head space in the bucket to contain it. I'm sure it will be fine.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
GySgtLynn
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Not every beer your gonna make is gonna need a blow off tube. I made a stout about 5 days ago. There was very little krausen and no airlock activity.. The krausen fell within 24 hours I took a gravity reading on day 3 and it already hit FG. Just because you don't have visable fermentation does not mean it's not taking place.... Yeast are as unpredictable as women...

Primary: Pale Ale

Secondary: None

Bottled: None

Keg: Chipotle Stout

Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #8
Jwood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

normal, if the gravity is down the C02 went somewhere. And if it didn't come out of the airlock, then there was a leak somehow no matter how tight you thought that lid was.

Either way, don't worry

Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #9
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I think you also have to realize (as I did) that every problem listed in this forum IS NOT going to happen to you. I read so much about blowoff, that I kept wondering "where's my blowoff?" How come mine is exploding and coating the ceiling? "

This is a great place to learn "how not to" or pick up ideas that "will make it better", but you have to be careful to understand that if you read the "will make it better" parts you'll avoid the problems.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #10
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

More info needed... What do you mean by zero blow-off? Krausen exiting a blow-off tube? Unless your making a high gravity beer in a small fermenter, you probably won't see this. For example, when I make 5 gallon batches and ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket, I never get this.

What are you using, airlock or blow-off tube?

You should never really see the lid bowing, unless you weren't using some sort of CO2 release mechanism. Just because you didn't see the bubbling happening, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Sounds to me like your beer has done what it should, and will be just fine. Check your gravity again in a few days and see if it's changed.

for one more beer!
GySgtLynn Likes This