I making a batch of a dark ale from a yeast I "found" in a bottle of a Belgian style ale -- Zon, for anyone who knows the beer.
Zon (with a "long o" symbol over the "o") is an unfiltered beer, and I wanted to try knocking off the recipe myself. I drank all but perhaps a few tablespoons, then grew a starter on cane sugar and yeast vitamins, then split a couple pounds of DME into two one gallon fermenters. OG was enough for about a 4 or 5 percent ABV finish.
My problem is that I only have experience with bottom-fermenting and floculating yeasts, not with something that refuses to behave itself and settle out already, [email protected]
I added Sparkeloid to one of the gallons and seem to have messed things up -- the yeasties are happily floating around the beer, with a fair number on top, and large chunks in not-so-on-the-top, and so on. In the past I've used Sparkeloid with great success, including on wines with serious pectin haze, but this gallon seems like it's going to be a loss if I can't get this problem resolved.
Help! I'm not a n00b to brewing in general, but this seems like a totally n00bish mistake.