Whoa. Will age help? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Whoa. Will age help?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #11
midfielder5
 
midfielder5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,448
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts


Put that one in secondary for batch aging (as others said), and forget about it for a month or two, or 6.

Now go brew a quick turnaround beer so you get your pipeline going.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
WortIfied
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Brunswick, Georgia
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Haha thanks, I plan on getting a porter brewed this weekend, already have my DIPA bottled and expect it to be done conditioning by end of next week.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8031 Times on 5610 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WortIfied View Post
Oh thanks, I was explained a session beer would be something you sipped over a period of time.

Thanks for clarifying that!
It sounds like a session beer would be sipped over a session- but the reverse is true. A "session beer" is a beer you can pound over an evening (a session) and not be unable to function! A "sessionable beer" is about 4% or under and easy drinking. You've got yourself a sipper there!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #14
midfielder5
 
midfielder5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,448
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WortIfied
Haha thanks, I plan on getting a porter brewed this weekend
Why do I get the feeling you are going to add 750ml of rum AND 1/2# coffee, and wth, some oatmeal!
oh well, lol, it is your beer. I was thinking something like BM's Centennial Blonde that can be done in 2-3 weeks if you keg.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #15
WortIfied
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Brunswick, Georgia
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
Why do I get the feeling you are going to add 750ml of rum AND 1/2# coffee, and wth, some oatmeal!
oh well, lol, it is your beer. I was thinking something like BM's Centennial Blonde that can be done in 2-3 weeks if you keg.
Haha, nope, just a good ol porter, from kit. Midwest power pack porter. No additives this time! Hah. And I don't keg yet, I'm trying to slowly bring the wife on my side with my new hobby, so eventually! At least that double IPA is almost ready to drink.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #16
tallgirl
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Austin, TX
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortIfied View Post
Haha, nope, just a good ol porter, from kit. Midwest power pack porter. No additives this time! Hah. And I don't keg yet, I'm trying to slowly bring the wife on my side with my new hobby, so eventually! At least that double IPA is almost ready to drink.
Oh, swoon. Never made an IPA. I wanna make me one, except most of my friends think hops are yucky and too much hops is even yuckier.

I need new friends ...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #17
Hops4life
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Germantown, TN
Posts: 75
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Tallgirl you need new friends for sure.

If anyone is into DIPA's I suggest you travel to new England and hit up some heady topper from a brewery called The Alchemist. To die for DIPA.

I'm a hop head but looking to do something more dark for my next brew. I tend to stick with ambers/apa/ipa but want to do something outside the norm. Just can't decide what.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #18
WortIfied
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Brunswick, Georgia
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops4life View Post
Tallgirl you need new friends for sure.

If anyone is into DIPA's I suggest you travel to new England and hit up some heady topper from a brewery called The Alchemist. To die for DIPA.

I'm a hop head but looking to do something more dark for my next brew. I tend to stick with ambers/apa/ipa but want to do something outside the norm. Just can't decide what.
I have on order the Movember Hopstache Black IPA but am going to use 1oz Warrior for bittering hops and then continuesly hop for the full 60 using the provided hops in the kit, right after I brew the porter!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #19
lgilmore
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Marysville, WA
Posts: 607
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts


hey, I appreciate your efforts to make a special brew. I too have that urge to tinker with my kits. I have a java stout and superior strong ale coming tomorrow and I am debating adding some chocolate to the java. I was thinking of almost making a bottling batch (sugar or honey and water) and add choc powder to this then adding to the boil the last 10-15 minutes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 AM   #20
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,342
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


I used to tamper with my kits until I noticed that I was making some pretty overwhelming beers that mostly just sat around aging while I spent good money on more moderate commercial beers. I still love brewing up some freak juice, but at least 3 of 4 beers I make now are 1.060 or less and at least roughly based on a traditional style.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whoa Whoa whoa! Truvia Ferments?!?! krbrumma Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 08-10-2014 05:14 PM
Fermentation +10 (or more) degrees - whoa heyjaffy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 04-06-2011 02:38 PM
whoa... Keith_Mahoney Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-06-2010 11:51 PM
Whoa! Can you say active? rcrabb22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 10-29-2008 04:17 PM
Whoa..It's GOOD docbee Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 09-16-2006 10:55 PM


Forum Jump