Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #501
BSD_Glass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Morebeer has the blank caps. You need to call or contact customer service to order them. They aren't listed on the website

Cheers.

BSD

Old 02-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #502
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Nah, I went back and forth with many emails with Morebeer before they said they didn't have them. They do exist though. Just not in the states.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #503
BSD_Glass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default my reply from morebeer on January 21

Hello BSD,

Thank you for your email and interest in our products. We do have for sale the flat, locking caps for Speidel plastic fermenters. The part number is FE787 and they are $5.95ea. They are not available on our website, however, we can add the part to a quote under a customer account which can then be copied to cart, or please give us a call to place the order.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thank you,

Jared Lieban

Customer Service Representative

MoreFlavor! Inc

1-800-600-0033

Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 AM   #504
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 272

Awesome, I need to get a couple more of those as well. One came with my fermenter, but they're really handy to have around.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #505
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Got extra blank caps, need another lid. It's about 4" in diameter goes under the cap with a gasket and has a hole for the airlock bung.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #506
MVCL
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlr25 View Post
Does anyone have the 20L? If so, what is the total volume for that one? It looks like the 30L is marketed a 7.9, but it sounds like it can hold upwards of 9 gallons
I too am interested in this question. I current have the 30 L and am considering the 20 L as a secondary for 5-6 gallons.

I did read all 50+ pages of this thread, did somebody reply to this and I just missed it?

Thanks,
Mike

BTW: This is my first post. Chronic lurker.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 AM   #507
ProjectOrion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I'm thinking of picking one of the 120L ones up for our 20 gal batches, but ... How do y'all move them? Or are we pretty much limited to racking out with co2?

Anyone know of something like a big boy brew hauler, (except rated for 200lbs) That we could use to winch it up to let gravity do the work?

Old 03-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #508
bford
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by bford View Post
I picked up one of these 12L's to ferment two gallon batches.. sadly I had not seen this thread and didn't know that this size does not have a hole in the lid for the stopper/air lock.

Has anyone modified one to fit a stopper and an air lock, be it the Spiedel brand or just a normal stopper and 3 piece air lock?

If I'm going to have to drill it out, I'll need to find the right size step drill bit.

I know I can put the lid on loosely and ferment that way, but I think I'd like the option of an air lock.... am I right, wrong, or crazy...?!?
UPDATE: I was able to drill a hole with a bit used to create holes in doors.. just found the right size at my dad's... he has all the cool tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
I dont think you really need a stepped bit, size doesnt really matter, just find a 3/4" or 1" bit and drill through it. They make rubber stoppers in all sizes, even if you had to drill a 2" hole there are stoppers that big. Any LHBS worth a grain of salt should have tons of sizes of stoppers..mine has from like #2 all the way up to like #14 or something...no idea who would use a 3 1/2" stopper...but they exist. Because stoppers are cut at an inward angle it means stoppers of various sizes fit multiple hole sizes with no issue.
Good info.. the step bits my dad had were too small... but he had a perfect size door knob maker bit thingee....

Worked like a charm... took about fifteen seconds to finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
As far as I know, you should be able to just cut along the create in the lid with a box cutter, the resulting hole should be the exact size for a Speidel stopper and airlock.
Well, let me give a hand to Speidel... the plastic on these tops is really strong... I actually did try a box cutter on it... it might have worked in a couple of weeks... but more likely I would have lost a finger or cut my wrist badly first!

Pretty sure I'm going to order another of these small ones.. they are perfect for the 2-2.5 gallon batches I like making.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #509
MVCL
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlr25 View Post
Does anyone have the 20L? If so, what is the total volume for that one? It looks like the 30L is marketed a 7.9, but it sounds like it can hold upwards of 9 gallons
Just got one, looks like you could get 6 gallons in safely if using for a secondary. I would expect that is a little too small to be used as a primary for a 5+ gallon batch. Next to the 30 L bigger brother for size comparison.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spediel fermenters_s.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	187624  

Old 06-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #510
dhutchings
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Bumping an old (and lengthy) thread, but I just bought one of the 30L ones on the weekend to replace my plastic fermenter that I had a recent infection in.

I'm going to re-brew the batch I got the infection in with the new fermenter. These things feel super sturdy!