Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > smallest batch in a 5 gallon bucket?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philly
Posts: 803
Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Default

I use buckets because they're cheap, stackable, and easy to clean. I wouldn't fault anyone if they want to use glass, though. It's just a personal preference and certainly nothing to get upset about.


gr8shandini is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #12
tallgirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
I use buckets because they're cheap, stackable, and easy to clean. I wouldn't fault anyone if they want to use glass, though. It's just a personal preference and certainly nothing to get upset about.
I've heard too many stories of infected beer fermented in plastic to think they are acceptable. Very seldom do I hear of someone with good sanitation practices getting a sick beer from fermenting in glass.


tallgirl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
xjmox14x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 460
Liked 75 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl View Post
I've heard too many stories of infected beer fermented in plastic to think they are acceptable. Very seldom do I hear of someone with good sanitation practices getting a sick beer from fermenting in glass.
I don't know where you're hearing these stories, but one, I haven't heard of many stories of people getting infected beer from plastic buckets. Actually, not many have proven that it was the bucket at all. In fact, if you go to the "Is my beer infected" thread, I think you'll note that 90% of the photos are from those with glass carboys. Two, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting sick from a beer period... bucket or glass.

Good sanitation is good sanitation, whether you are using plastic or glass. Straying away from plastic buckets because they may cause an infection is, for lack of a better term, ignorant. And I don't mean that in a condescending way at all. It is just entirely misinformed.
xjmox14x is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
PoppinCaps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 397
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Always use plastic for primary here, lots of 2 gallon batches in a 6.5 gal bucket, never had an infection.
__________________
Grain to Glass
PoppinCaps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #15
Beezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,384
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Default

I did a 3 gallon batch. I am regretting it now because it turned out great. One nice thing is a normal 1.05 beer, you can just pitch a vial. Starter is not really necessary. I might do the 3 gallon for bigger beers since I still just have a 30q kettle and that's about right if I want to do more than 60 minute boils.
Beezy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #16
PoppinCaps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 397
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x

I don't know where you're hearing these stories, but one, I haven't heard of many stories of people getting infected beer from plastic buckets. Actually, not many have proven that it was the bucket at all. In fact, if you go to the "Is my beer infected" thread, I think you'll note that 90% of the photos are from those with glass carboys. Two, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting sick from a beer period... bucket or glass.

Good sanitation is good sanitation, whether you are using plastic or glass. Straying away from plastic buckets because they may cause an infection is, for lack of a better term, ignorant. And I don't mean that in a condescending way at all. It is just entirely misinformed.
I'd add if you're really rough with the bucket and scratch the hell out of it, it may be more prone to harboring bacteria in the cracks. Treat your equipment well, and there's really no difference in sterility.
__________________
Grain to Glass
PoppinCaps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #17
tallgirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x View Post
I don't know where you're hearing these stories, but one, I haven't heard of many stories of people getting infected beer from plastic buckets. Actually, not many have proven that it was the bucket at all. In fact, if you go to the "Is my beer infected" thread, I think you'll note that 90% of the photos are from those with glass carboys. Two, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting sick from a beer period... bucket or glass.
I'm talking about the beer getting infected from something that was left in the bucket, not people getting sick or an infection from drinking the beer.

HTH.
tallgirl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #18
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,765
Liked 243 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default

1) I've not had any infections with my plastic. I'm sure it will happen some day, and when it does, I will replace my plastic. But hasn't happened yet, and I don't have to worry about a very heavy, very breakable carboy. Better bottles FTW!

2) Regarding the comment of 2 inches of beer on 1 inch of trub.... you have to remember that you are going to have a lot less trub with a 1 gallon batch, so I don't think this would be as big of a problem as you might think. That being said.....

3) I have done 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon BB with no problems, dunno if I'd go much smaller than that. 3 gallon BB are great for small batches.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.
BrewKnurd is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
xjmox14x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 460
Liked 75 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl View Post
I'm talking about the beer getting infected from something that was left in the bucket, not people getting sick or an infection from drinking the beer.

HTH.
Understood, and as the previous poster mentioned, using proper cleaning techniques (i.e. realizing that plastic is a softer medium than glass and can be prone to scratching) can yield the same sanitary conditions as a clean glass carboy. What it boils down to is sanitary practices. I'm just saying, if you got an infection, blame it on the brewer... not the fermentation device. Proper sanitation is required for both glass and plastic. And when done properly, both are perfectly safe.
xjmox14x is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #20
el_caro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: , Australia
Posts: 606
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl View Post
I've heard too many stories of infected beer fermented in plastic to think they are acceptable. Very seldom do I hear of someone with good sanitation practices getting a sick beer from fermenting in glass.


The whole of Australia brews in plastic.


el_caro is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1 gallon bucket with spigot Floody Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 03-02-2013 02:49 PM
graduating a 5.5 gallon bucket BlackJaqueJanaviac Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 07-15-2011 05:30 PM
Smallest batch? Cojones893 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 05-04-2010 09:01 PM
Brewing a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket jbolte1976 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 05-26-2009 02:46 AM
5 gallon batch, 6.5 gallon bucket... Sigthor Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-31-2009 02:03 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS