How to attach 10 gauge wire to a Grainger 3PDT switch? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to attach 10 gauge wire to a Grainger 3PDT switch?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
bigljd
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 411
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts



What's the best way to attach 10 gauge wire to this switch? Solder the wire directly to the posts, or try to find some 10g ring terminals with the small rings and try to find the tiny screws to screw the ring to the posts? Or something else?

There's 9 posts on this thing I'll have to wire to.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NKK...NZ7?Pid=search



Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Use stranded wire (Not a solid conductor) and strip a small length of insulation off of the end of the wire. Push the wire through the terminal hole Shape it and then solder it in place. ONLY use radio solder for this. Do not use plumbing solder.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
bigljd
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 411
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Use stranded wire (Not a solid conductor) and strip a small length of insulation off of the end of the wire. Push the wire through the terminal hole Shape it and then solder it in place. ONLY use radio solder for this. Do not use plumbing solder.
I'll be using stranded wire, but the 10 gauge wire is way too big to fit thru the terminal hole. I probably could solder it to the side of the terminal.

I've got some 60/40 rosin core solder from Radio Shack that says it's for PC work. Is that OK?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
bowhuntah
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Windham, Maine
Posts: 111
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


I just soldered a similar switch. I peeled back half of the strands and cut them about an 1/8" from the insulation. I threaded the other half through the hole and bent them back so the two bunches were touching. I then soldered.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd View Post
I'll be using stranded wire, but the 10 gauge wire is way too big to fit thru the terminal hole. I probably could solder it to the side of the terminal.

I've got some 60/40 rosin core solder from Radio Shack that says it's for PC work. Is that OK?
It is possible to enlarge the hole a little to accept the wire using a Dremel. Or just place as many strands through as possible and solder all of it. The solder you reference is exactly the one you should use for the task.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntah View Post
I just soldered a similar switch. I peeled back half of the strands and cut them about an 1/8" from the insulation. I threaded the other half through the hole and bent them back so the two bunches were touching. I then soldered.
Exactly. Your description beat the pants off of what I was trying to say.

Thank You.!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
bigljd
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 411
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntah View Post
I just soldered a similar switch. I peeled back half of the strands and cut them about an 1/8" from the insulation. I threaded the other half through the hole and bent them back so the two bunches were touching. I then soldered.
Thanks huntah and PJ. I'll give this way a try. I'm a bit rusty at soldering, but I should get lots of practice over the next couple weeks.

I've been playing around in Google sketch to try to map out my future panel. I think I like this layout best so far, but may change my mind again tomorrow.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
samc
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Portland OR
Posts: 5,387
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts


Maybe a dumb observation but isn't 10g overkill for this switch? It can't handle the power that 10g does so why not downsize the wire to the switch?

Could be I just don't understand whats going on here.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
bowhuntah
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Windham, Maine
Posts: 111
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd View Post
Thanks huntah and PJ. I'll give this way a try. I'm a bit rusty at soldering, but I should get lots of practice over the next couple weeks.

I've been playing around in Google sketch to try to map out my future panel. I think I like this layout best so far, but may change my mind again tomorrow.

A little heat shrink can hide a lot of ugly solders.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
clearwaterbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Clearwater, FL
Posts: 266
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntah

A little heat shrink can hide a lot of ugly solders.
Get the 'helping hands' set of adjustable gator clips to hold both pieces in position, a nice hot soldering iron, try to put most of the solder on the thing being soldered, practice finding a way to pill the iron off without making a solder point, and heat shrink.. 15W will not cut it for 10ga..



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3-Wire Vs. 4-Wire GFCI BigBobsBrews Electric Brewing 20 09-23-2011 10:56 PM
Wire a switch to a heat stick? tarponteaser Electric Brewing 5 08-29-2011 11:02 PM
Gauge of ground wire GRHunter Electric Brewing 12 05-25-2011 10:26 PM
Any issue using larger gauge wire? adivito Electric Brewing 7 04-11-2011 09:45 PM
Heatstick 12 gauge electrical wire/cord? redalert Electric Brewing 11 01-07-2011 04:09 PM


Forum Jump