Fermenting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintdowns

Reaction score
I brewed a European Bock from Brewers Best kit yesterday. I followed the instructions to a T.

I have two questions. The first one is about the OG. I measured it at 1.072 and it's suppose to be between 1.064 and 1.068. I messed up and put the yeast in first before I measured it though. How much of a problem is this.

The second question is about the yeast and fermentation. It has been about 24 hours now and still don't think it has bubbled one time. What's up with it.

Not to worry it can take up to 72 hours. If you are useing a bucket the air may escape and you will neber see any activity in your air lock. Let it go for a while and you can check the SG if you are still questioning if it is fermenting.

Ok I am new to this. What is SG. Also do I do anything special with the European Bock or is 1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary then bottle

SG is specific gravity. People usually refer to OG (original gravity, before fermentation) and FG (final gravity, after fermentation before bottling/kegging). You're OG of 1.072 is fine.. a couple points off doesnt make much of a difference!

Going a little longer in the primary is better from what I've heard - maybe an additional week. The only real way to know if your fermentation is done and you are ready to bottle is to check the specific gravity. Your kit should say what your target final gravity is. If you check your beer in 2-3 weeks and you've reached or gotten close to this final gravity then you are ready!

SG = Specific Gravity.

Typically Bocks are lagers. As such, you should store it cold in secondary for several weeks after fermentation for best results. The Brewer's Best kit instructions say to do this:
11. SECONDARY/LAGERING
Transfer the beer to a clean, sanitized 5-gallon carboy. Lower the temperature 1º to 3º per day until it reaches 35º - 42ºF. Lager within this temperature range 3 - 4 weeks. After at least 2 weeks take a FG reading with a sanitized hydrometer and record it in your ABV% CALCULATOR.

Note: FG means Final Gravity.

I have two questions. The first one is about the OG. I measured it at 1.072 and it's suppose to be between 1.064 and 1.068. I messed up and put the yeast in first before I measured it though. How much of a problem is this..

No problem at all.

I absolutely love this forum. It is so much help. I had questioned myself on whether I wanted to start brewing or not because I didn't know to much about it. Glad I did because there are great people here to help anytime.

Thaanks so much guys

What it I really don't have the means to lower it 1 to 3 degrees every day. What would you do with it then.

Do you have a way to store the beer between 35 and 42 degrees F? I'd think that if you can't do the gradual cool down that the instructions call for, lagering might still be useful.

I'm going to assume that afterputting into primary that you gave it a long shaking so it's well oxygenated (if not, don't do it now, just wait it out). If that's the case, and I don't know what kind of yeast you're using, but I'm going out on a limb here and say you didn't do a starter? If so, no problem, just have patience. I've had my dry yeast take up to 72+ hours to kick in. Also if you're using a bucket for primary fermentation, ensure it's REALLY sealed all the way around. I've had that happen and never saw bubbling. Also, what's the temp range of your yeast? It's good to know that and keep the temps in that range. Too cold, wrap a blanket around it. Too warm (fementation brings temp up a bit), then put it in a keg tub with cool water/ice. As for your hydrometer: make sure you're spinning within the test tube a couple of times to get a better guage. It's also possible that the reading paper within the glass is off. It's not important, just make sure to note the difference between starting and ending readings. That delta is what calculates ABV. For instance your hydrometer readings can be off by 40 points with OG=1.100 and with a FG of 1.050. You'll get the same ABV if your readings are 1.060 and 1.010. Both are .050 points difference.

Well I did shake it a little bit. Now vigorously though. The good news is that it is now popping off. After about 46 hours it starting popping off vigorously. It's at about 2 bubbles a second. With the secondary fermentation. How long should I leave it in the primary? I have an empty refrigerator that I can put it in to lager. How important is it to start out high and then bring down slow. Would it hurt it to just leave it in the fridge. I also have a keezer that I keep at about 39. Would that work

You need to bring it down slow. If it cools too fast you can get suckback through your airlock. I put vodka in my airlock so if it cools too fast I do not suck nasty water into my brew. Follow the directions any it should be fine.

46 hours sounds fine. Primary fermentation time: when it's done, it's done. 1 bubble every 60 seconds or less is a standard i use. Then i move it over to secondary and let it finish. But really, the only way to truly know is to take a hydrometer reading and after 2-3 days of no changing, it's ready. As for cooling it down, it's possible to cold shock the yeast by bringing it down too quickly and get a stuck fermentation. Tell us what yeast you're using and if you know the optimal temp range. If it's not a lager yeast, don't worry about cooling it down. If it is, start that fridge off on the warm side and cool it gradually. Use a thermometer to monitor. Then nudge the control down a few degrees a day until you get it where you need it. But since the yeast has been going for 3 days now at room temp, you may be fine. Again, depend on the strain of yeast.

I took this out of the primary and now it is in the secondary. Will be in the secondary for 7 days tomorrow. A brewer that has been in it for a while told me that I could actually take it out and keg it instead of doing the lagering. What are your apps thoughts.

You can lager IN the keg, I think is what he meant. And yes, you can absolutely do that. Just keg it and then proceed as you would with your secondary.

Back