Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Herb/tea ball for dryhopping?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
Through a little trial and error you'll figure out how much pellets you can put in there without them compacting into a tight ball. I try not to add more than an ounce and a half to each of the very big size but I prefer an ounce.
this!!! when i keg hop i only fill it about a third with pellet hops because of expansion.. i used 4 on my last IPA about a year ago.. the ones i use are from wallyworld and have a little clasp holding it together

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts

I use one for dry hopping with pellets. Works well in a bucket as a secondary. I imagine if you are using leaf hops it would be a pretty big fail. For the boil I don't see a need. I just don't worry about a little hop mass making it into my fermenter.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
boswell
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the dryhopping possibilities.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
StokedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I too use one, 3 inches in diameter, for dry hopping in kegs using pellets. It allows the hops to influence the beer without leaving a ton of sediment behind. I can fit roughly 2oz of pellets into it too! Got mine at the local tea shop for about $5. Works amazing!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
boswell
Recipes 

Just thought I would share, just got this in the mail. I'll report back once is been used, but this should give you an idea of the size. looks like it would fit 3-5 ozs, or use leaf as well. This is going to be used in primary, in a bucket after gravity has stabilized. It's stainless, and built pretty sturdy. The top locks onto the bottom really well minimizing the risk of coming apart.
Click image for larger version

Name:	6540004221_b15904598b_b.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	41075  

Reason: fix the pic

Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
boswell
Recipes 

Just checking my saved threads, never reported back on this. I've used it for both dryhopping and in the boil, both scenarios worked great. I like it for the boil for smaller beers. I use a carabiner (sp?) to hook it onto my kettle's handle. To add to it, I use bar towels to twist it open when it's hot, add hops, return it to the boil.