First Attempt Cider Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennybst

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and am hoping to get some gear for a couple gallons of Cider at the LHBS after work. I've sifted through the Cider thread here in the forums, and it so hard to decide where I want to start. Since it's my first time I'm looking to make something pretty basic, without the use of a carboy (I hope to experiment with the ingredients so I want separate batches) I found a link to makinghardcider.com and will probably follow closely to some of the tips on there.

My current grocery list looks like this -
Two 1-Gallon glass jugs
Two Bungs & Airlocks
A couple pop-top bottles possibly
Nottingham Ale yeast
Corn sugar for priming
sorbitol/xylitol for a little sweetening
Brown sugar & apple juice concentrate
and of course some Cider w/o preservatives.

Any tips on how to make some great cider with those ingredients (and I'm open to others) would be very helpful! Also, if you have any insight on something I should/shouldn't do a certain way, that would be great. Thanks :)

At the moment I have my first batch of beer, a Bavarian wheat kit (http://www.listermann.com/Store/Details.asp?ID=1115), in my secondary. I recently got back from an entire summer of studying abroad in Munich, and that's pretty much where my beer fascination came from. Glad to be part of the HBT community!

Back