Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Stabilizing Sour to not funk up kegerator!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Stabilizing Sour to not funk up kegerator!

I'm thinking about making some all brett beers using wyeast 3110 or wlp645 inspired by Wild Brews and want to keg them instead of my normal bottling of sours. With that said, has anyone stabilized their sours with either sulfite or sorbate with good results? I don't want to funk up my beer lines!

Thanks,
J

Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 194 Posts

I've used campden tablets to stop brett fermentation before blending with a sacc fermented beer and bottled it. No problems with overcarbonation or explosions. (It was Oldsock/madfermentationist's recommendation.)

Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I've used campden tablets to stop brett fermentation before blending with a sacc fermented beer and bottled it. No problems with overcarbonation or explosions. (It was Oldsock/madfermentationist's recommendation.)
I mean I don't see why it wouldn't work...I do it all the time for backsweetening wines and ciders. Hmm, anyone else tried this?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

You'll want to do a bit of research on how the stabilizers work. I don't know all the biology and chemistry but a quick search has camden tabs killing bacteria, but only says that it inhibits yeast growth. Sorbate also only keeps yeast from multiplying, but doesn't kill them. This will stop fermentation, but if you're trying to prevent cross contamination you'll probably just need to up your cleaning regimen or dedicate parts.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
I'm thinking about making some all brett beers using wyeast 3110 or wlp645 inspired by Wild Brews and want to keg them instead of my normal bottling of sours. With that said, has anyone stabilized their sours with either sulfite or sorbate with good results? I don't want to funk up my beer lines!
I don't keg, so I really don't know the answer. But, any beer in the lines will only be there for a very short period, and Brett and sour bacteria take a long time to develop their flavors. Is it really a problem. And if you flush the lines between batches, any 'contamination' that may be left must be really small that in the time the beer is in the lines, I would not have thought it would have made a difference.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a problem. I can understand contamination from seals in kegs, but not from the lines.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
yellowthere
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a problem. I can understand contamination from seals in kegs, but not from the lines.
If you run a sour beer through lines, then run a non sour beer through the same line, the lingering bacteria/brett in the line could swim from the line to the inside of the keg, because while the keg is tapped there is an open connection from the tap handle to the inside of the keg. I think that's the concern.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Gritsak
Recipes 

It wouldn't cost much at all to keep an extra line with connectors around for sour/brett beers only. Then you'd just have to worry about making sure the facet is clean.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Bottenbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you don't kill everything you will need to use separate equipment. The beer WILL stay in the lines for extended period of time unless you tap the keg and empty it within 5 minutes. So unless you kill off all the bugs they will be sitting in the lines with the beer. I have been wrestling with this same question, and I think my answer is to just have a dedicated line/tap on my keezer for brett beers. That being said, I hope you find a way to do it and then post it on here!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made a Brett beer once that I wanted the Brett to stop before I bottled it. I pasturized it by holding it at 180 F for about 5 minutes.

Due to having to move it twice (kettle then keg) you risk oxidation doing it this way.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

I have used campden tablets during blending of sour and non-sour beers with good success. Like pohldogg said the tablets really just inhibit the wild yeast.

If your cleaning and sanitizing procedure is very good then you should have no problem going from funky to clean beers. I don't want to have to be concerned so the extra $15 in disconnects and line (I wrap my sour line with blue masking tape) are worth it.