Xylitol for backsweetening - warning - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Xylitol for backsweetening - warning

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
roxbob
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
, CT
Posts: 152
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts



Just a word of warning for anyone who has considered using Xylitol as a non-fermentible sugar to backsweeten cider before bottle carbonating. It seems to be an attractive option for this purpose - it's a natural product that tastes almost exactly like sugar, and worked well when I used it in my first batch of cider.

However, I made the mistake of ordering it from Amazon, without reading the reviews - many of which referred to the, um, intestinal distress that can occur when you consume this stuff. I've had a few single bottles of the cider with no problem, but last night I drank two bottles for the first time, and can now confirm that those reviews were entirely correct. I won't be using this stuff again.

If anyone wants a nearly full bag of Xylitol, just let me know....



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
dinnerstick
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
utrecht, netherlands
Posts: 2,023
Liked 267 Times on 196 Posts


wow- it says as much on the back of a packet of smints, which are almost 90% xylitol, but i never really believed it. still, your cider must taste better than x-lax, never know when you'll need it



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Devo9
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 433
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts


Yes, I have had a bad experience with a xylitol sweetened drink... lost a whole night to it! Felt like I had drank a bottle of laxitive... I'd recomend staying away from the stuff!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,726
Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts


I read the package before I used it and never had a problem with it in the way you describe!! My only problem with it is the price! I've been using stevia lately but guess what? That list of side effects is growing also!! Oh, and splenda has a chlorine molecule that they dont know what affects it has on the body... So people can pick their poisons that works best for them and not be persuaded from someones first post about their IBS.... I know your just giving a heads up and giving a bag of it away but you do know that apples and alcohol have that effect too... Just sayin....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Woodbury419
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Toledo
Posts: 155
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
I read the package before I used it and never had a problem with it in the way you describe!! My only problem with it is the price! I've been using stevia lately but guess what? That list of side affects is growing also!! Oh, and splenda has a chlorine molecule that they dont know what affects it has on the body... So people can pick their poisons that works best for them and not be persuaded from someones first post about their IBS.... I know your just giving a heads up and giving a bag of it away but you do know that apples and alcohol have that affect too... Just sayin....
Just because the molecular structure has a chlorine molecule doesn't mean it's gonna break away and attack your body. lol, It's a very stable chemical structure and we as humans ingest far more hazardous chemicals from tap water like "Trihalomethanes" and such. Besides, we consume Free Available Chlorine from tap water all the time. In those concentrations it doesn't cause negative effects on our bodies, by the time chlorine would cause "mud butt" the smell of chlorine in your water would be cloying and distasteful. But I agree with you people can pick their poisons!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,726
Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbury419

Just because the molecular structure has a chlorine molecule doesn't mean it's gonna break away and attack your body. lol, It's a very stable chemical structure and we as humans ingest far more hazardous chemicals from tap water like "Trihalomethanes" and such. Besides, we consume Free Available Chlorine from tap water all the time. In those concentrations it doesn't cause negative effects on our bodies, by the time chlorine would cause "mud butt" the smell of chlorine in your water would be cloying and distasteful. But I agree with you people can pick their poisons!
Yup
I just brought it up for comparison that side effects are a part of everything and everyone is not the same I used splenda for a couple years but went away from it due to the maltodextrine filler... I really got sick of the thick mouth feel it imparts into my cider and now with stevia I can do 20 gallons for like $8.00...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,882
Liked 164 Times on 133 Posts


Xylitol, Mannitol, all those 'itol' tend to have stomach side effects. One mint? sure. 5 pints? heck no. LOL

M_C
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
dinnerstick
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
utrecht, netherlands
Posts: 2,023
Liked 267 Times on 196 Posts


it's too bad biology is so complicated and stochastic. if everyone had a precise threshold level of xylitol after which the floodgates opened, you could have four pints with your buddy and then send him home with the breathmint that took him over the edge

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,726
Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
it's too bad biology is so complicated and stochastic. if everyone had a precise threshold level of xylitol after which the floodgates opened, you could have four pints with your buddy and then send him home with the breathmint that took him over the edge
lmfao.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Mermaid
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 666
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Xylitol effects folks differently, for sure! I drink the stuff in my coffee every day (because I can't stand the blue stuff and the yellow packets sorta scare me). Some days it's "oh jeebus what the hell did I do to myself?!!!" and other days it's no big deal.

I am going to experiment with back sweetening some cider with it - but I'll keep those bottles for myself and/or only for friends who have experience with xylitol


__________________
The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backsweetening Devo9 Cider Forum 1 11-01-2011 03:11 PM
backsweetening help please SBV Cider Forum 2 07-23-2011 08:19 AM
xylitol per 750ml ShawnChiotti Cider Forum 0 03-03-2011 06:39 PM
Backsweetening and then carbing? Cheapspkrs111 Cider Forum 2 10-24-2010 11:21 PM
Backsweetening Questions dRaPP Cider Forum 10 08-28-2010 05:40 AM


Forum Jump