Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How much time till expiry for yeast upon receipt is acceptable?

Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default How much time till expiry for yeast upon receipt is acceptable?

I couldn't find anything on here, but was just wondering in your opinions, what is an acceptable amount of time buffer until the "best by" date on a liquid yeast vile when you receive it? 1 month, 2 months, 3 months?

For example, if you order some yeast online and it's at your door in 5 days, how much time should be expected to be left before the "best by" date is reached? What is a reasonable expectation?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
janivar123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

One of the shops i use has best before date on the website and price dropps for every month it ages
Other one gives you double up if it has less then 2 months left

I wouldnt buy liquid yeast from anyone who didnt have one of this guarantees

Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You mean like getting a package that has 2 days before it passes it's best by date? Took me 4 steps to get that lager starter big enough, pain in the ****ing ass.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Well, I won't name names, but I just ordered 2 vials from a vendor near me and one day was 50 days out, the other 25 days out. On the 2nd vial, I'm stuck doing a massive multi-step starter and I'm just beginning brewing, so I'm probably gonna screw it up. Just annoying, cause I probably would have done 2 packs, but then I'm paying for shipping and another yeast, so I'm in like 25 bucks in yeast alone.

SwampassJ- That sucks.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janivar123 View Post
One of the shops i use has best before date on the website and price dropps for every month it ages
Other one gives you double up if it has less then 2 months left

I wouldnt buy liquid yeast from anyone who didnt have one of this guarantees
I don't think I'll be getting yeast here anymore. Where do you get yours?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
samc
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Before ordering I'd check with the store for the policy. Now that you have the yeast why not ask them about it, maybe they will make a price adjustment. I'm lucky in that I can go look, check dates and get my yeast from a high turnover LHBS. All in all, getting a yeast before the best buy date seems ok to me.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/test...bility-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

I wouldn't pay full price for something that is expired, but I don't worry about the dates on them. My lhbs just discounts any of the old smack packs and tubes....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/test...bility-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

I wouldn't pay full price for something that is expired, but I don't worry about the dates on them. My lhbs just discounts any of the old smack packs and tubes....
Well said, I tend to get worked up over these things quickly. This is only my 3rd starter, but will be my first multi-step starter, and I just wasn't prepared for it and had to use all my DME that I was going to use in my next batch for the 2nd stage of starter. It wouldn't be as bad if I had a LHBS here, but everything I do is online so the time and costs escalate quickly.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In Norway

Sorry...

Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 766

The expiration was 25-50 days after you received it or before. I'm confused. If the first, sounds fine to me...