How many can you handle? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > How many can you handle?

Old 10-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
loopmd

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Is it just me, or does anyone feel like a light-weight when drinking your homebrew? Not that I pride myself on tossing 'em back, but usually many, many skunkwaters can be tossed back at friends houses or rounds at the bar and I'm still good to go. When I drink my homebrew, after about 4 or 5 of 'em, I find myself saying "self, I don't feel the same after 4 or 5 skunkwaters". Then I feel like a light-weight. Help me out here.

Loop

Old 10-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

depends on your bottle size and recipe. For the staple beer in my house, I brew up a simple brown ale that rings in at something close to 3% ABV (maybe lower). That's a pretty pretty 'weak' beer by most standards, but very flavorful and I don't feel bad about having a couple pints every evening. (In fact, I don't even feel the alcohol at all.)

I do also brew some heavy handed stuff from time to time, and I can't consume more than a couple of those in an evening before I start to feel sloppy between the ears.

I have a feeling that my stout is going to last a long time, because it's going to be a belly burner and a brain thickener. I plan to bottle that one COMPLETELY in 12oz bottles. Anything larger would be irresponsible.

-walker

Old 10-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

May 2005
Deepest, darkest Eastern NC
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I bottle in 40's. One of them relaxes me just fine. If I have two, I'm really relaxed. More than that, and the world starts to tilt and spin. Miller doesn't do that.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

Dunno yet, I bottled the first batch today.
I aim to do "a staple" that can be drank in quantity (4+) Then a few for drinking in ones and two's.

That's the theory anyway.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
ScottT

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Hurst, Tx
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, there seems to be a direct relationship between throwing darts and the number of pints I've had.

Two pints before I can group in 3", At 3 - 4 pints, I can drill those twentys and bulls, at 5, I start getting sloppy again, and at 6 forget it, I need sleep.

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 10-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts

I bottle 0,5 liters.

Most of the time I limit myself to 2, sometimes 3. Depends on my mood, which day of the week it is, and if it's a party.

Sometimes after work and a full dinner 1 will put me in my place, but then again mine are usually above the 5% mark...

Old 10-11-2005, 05:37 AM   #7
gibfried

Recipes 

Aug 2005
OZARKS

My homebrew buddy put away 10 - 12oz. the other day, and he was pretty down and out the next day at work.

I ussually enjoy a good 16 oz, or a 22 oz, right after work. If it's been a hard night at work - I do the same, but times 2.

The homebrew is definately a wee bit more intoxicating - but I always feel good during and afterwards the next morning. Not so after a night at the public house.

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Old 10-14-2005, 04:40 AM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

I'd say it's the difference between 12 oz bottles at 4-4.5 ABV and pints at 6-8 ABV. A six-pack of Curs is about 3 1/4 oz of alcohol. Three pints of my Black Hole stout at 7.5 ABV is 3.6 oz.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #9
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Oct 2005
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One of the times one of my friends was on leave fom the Navy, were having a marathon(not the running kind). He doesnt like beer and I dont like his shooters, so I stuck to the skunk pee and he had his shots. That left me with a half case of Reibenbach and a full case of Pabst to myself and in about 90min I had it down. 30 minutes after that I was out and the following morning was rough. Another time he had a keg(like the 15 gallon size) of Bud Light and I must have had six 16oz cups and felt nauseated more than anything. I'm bringing some Steel Reserve to his parties next time.

I drink mostly microbrews outside of my own and can only take 4-6 if its around 7-9% before I'm face down snoring.

I like reusing those 32oz Tecate bottles....they'll be great for an imperial stout .

Old 10-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #10
xpoc454
Recipes 

Mar 2005

I bottle mine in half litre and pints and I think my record may be 6 but I wasnt fresh the next day.

How do you guys drink your beer if you use 32 oz bottles? I assume you pour them into a nother glass to drink to keep the yeast down? Just use a HUGE mug?
Ohh now that I think of it, I do have a huge monster mug at home.

Tecate has a non twist off 32 oz ?
any of there beers have one?

Primary-Secondary1-none
Secondary2-none

In Bottles-Morebeer's extra special bitter
Morebeer's american pale ale
2008 and 2007 cherry berry mead
2009 Cider