Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > growing hops in VA?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
DAV3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default growing hops in VA?

Does anyone have any info on what types of hops grow best here in VA? Also when to plant and harvest and all else? I have some property now and would like to add hops to my gardening. Any info/advice is appreciated.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
jpietraski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in central PA. Climate zone 5. Similar to VA. I have three types of hops, but the most flourishing one is the Cascade. I planted the rhyzome in early spring, and was able to harvest that fall.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
verbarin01
Recipes 

I planted 3 varieties, but admittedly a bit late - in the middle of June. Cascade, Columbus, and Brewer's Gold. None have produced cones, which I have read is typical the first year. However, the plants have steadily grown larger and are very healthy. The former has been the slowest, but still doing pretty well. Drainage and soil acidity are important, so do some research an time your purchase before the spring hits, if possible. I purchased my rhizomes fro "High Hops" online and I have been very pleased with my purchase. I paid 10 dollars for each plant plus shipping. If any other brewers have other resources to share for purchasing hops, please share!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Jagdad
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out www.greatlakeshops.com. There is a ton of good information on selecting, growing, fertilizing, etc. - look under "Docs". The plants are a heckofalot bigger than HH's and cost less too.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Improbable
Recipes 

Blue Mountain is growing enough Cascade and Centennial for all of their Full Nelson and a couple of their other beers. From what I understand, we've got a pretty darn good climate for most hops, so if you've got enough sun I'd say pick whatever you'd like to brew with.

I'm going to try planting some Kent Goldings in the spring and cross my fingers. My property's pretty shady, but I heard they might be able to manage it.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 252 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Cascade seems to be the hardiest stock for this climate zone, but I'd love to piggyback on any advice given to DAV3 on successes/failures on growing in northwest VA. I plan on planting a couple rhizomes each of 3-4 different varietals at my folks' property in Winchester, VA this coming spring.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tagging along... Moving back to VA in the next 1.5-2 years and definitely want to plant my own hops.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
ODA
Recipes 

I took my first shot at growing this year. I planted 2 Cascade and 2 Nugget rhizomes at my folks' garden in Leesburg this last April and had good first-year yields for all four plants. About 1.5 lbs of wet hops per plant, 6 lbs. total. I harvested all cones in late August/early September. Looking back, I probably would have done a few separate harvests to make sure that each and every cone was ready. All of the plants were in a spot where they got lots of daylight and I think we had a pretty good weather year for them...aside from those few weeks of scorching temps mid August. Rhizomes were purchased at freshops.com.

I pulled the cascades out of the freezer for a single-hop ale last week and they smelled great. Will be dry hopping with the last ounce of the cascades this weekend. Nuggets are next up once I can figure what grains might compliment them nicely. Hoping to plant some different varieties next spring.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing how yours go.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A freind of mine grew Columbus this year. Planted the 3 rhizomes in the spring and got 5 pounds of hops. I'm not sure if the weigth was measured wet or dry.

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Also piggybacking. Going to try Centennial and Cascade in Richmond the spring and maybe Mt. Hood and Kent up here if I get brave.