Should I add more pumpkin - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I add more pumpkin

Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
naemlss
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Ontario, ca
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am about to do my 1st tasting of my moon hill pumpkin ale. Its been fermenting now for 3 weeks today. I plan on leaving it for another two weeks to condition either in the keg, or if I don't like the flavor another two weeks in a secondary fermenter. I love the taste of pumpkin, and I am worried that there won't be enough. I am already going to add some vanilla. I discovered a hint of it in the better pumpkin ales I have been sampling this year.

My basic question is would it be bad for me to bake off pumpkin puree to sterilize it, and then to add it to a secondary fermenter?

I would rack the beer directly onto the pumpkin. Then Co2 purge the headspace and give the baby a good swirl to get the pumpkin suspended for awhile.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3704 Times on 3178 Posts

I wouldn't,it would kick off fermentation again,possibly thinning the mouth feel & flavors of what you already have,imo.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Mpavlik22

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would advise against. I don't think it will add that pumpkin taste your looking for. Personally when I try any pumpkin beers I taste the spices, can't say I've ever had a beer that actually tasted like pumpkin, but that's just me. I made a pumpkin ale with over 6 lbs roasted pumpkin in 5 gal batch and I still only tasted spices. Did you use any type of spices?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
naemlss
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Ontario, ca
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

followed the moon hill recipe to mostly a T. So yes I spiced it, but I am going to do my tasting and see if I want more additions. 60 oz of pumpkin went into mine.