Columbus India Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007
Yeast Starter
4 liters
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks at 67
Tasting Notes
Fantastic American Style Brown India Ale
The key to this beer was mashing at 154 to retain some of the residual sweetness and body to balance the massive late hopload of this ale. I also mashed thin so I would get a thicker ale, as a result my efficiency fell...but it was worth it. There is apparently something magical about roasted malts and columbus hops. I herbal/citrus almost minty hop flavor and aroma that I find delicious. The chinook dry hops add a nice dank,pine,tropical aroma that really make a big difference.

This ale is currently on draft at my house and I have to say that is one of the best recieved brews to date to come out of my brewery.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.84 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00

20.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
2.75 lb flaked oats
2.50 lb Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain
2.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain
3.00 oz Columbus @15
3.00 oz Columbus @10
3.00 oz Columbus @7
3.50 oz Columbus @5
3.50 oz Columbus @FO (hot steep for 15 minutes)
2.00 oz Chinook Dry Hops

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.50 %
Bitterness: 73.0 IBU
Est Color: 32.3 SRM
WLP007
Mash at 154 for 60 minutes
Ferment at 66-68 degrees

Hey - I just finished brewing this up! Been eying the recipe for a while, and thanks to a recent hopsdirect sale I had a pound of Columbus just sitting there in my freezer, calling me...

Few changes: LHBS didn't have Caramel Wheat, so I went with Red Wheat. Also used WY1272, which is my go-to American yeast. Can't see either making a huge difference, though the yeast might make it a little fruitier.

SG was 1.069. Hydro sample was insane! Like sucking on mouthful of columbus pellets!

I'm really stoked to taste this one in a few weeks. I'll post tasting notes, if you want. Either way, thanks for the recipe!

IT should be a good ale, but the caramel wheat was the crystal malt in this recipe, so you aren't going to get a whole lot from a caramel flavor perspective, but you will get a very nice, dark, hoppy ale.

The thing with this one, is that it really starts to peak after a few months of aging.

Enjoy your brew!

Yeah, I thought about that. I was considering using regular wheat and adding 1/2-1 lb of Crystal 40, but then I figured that all that chocolate malt would cover up whatever the crystal brought. Oh well. I'm still looking forward to it.

Back