Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > how long can i save reused yeast

Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
nabeast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long can i save reused yeast

I am planing to reuse the same yeast from my brew fermenting now in about a week or so , but wasn't planing to make a new batch for about 2 weeks. How long can I save the old yeast in my fridge for.

Thanks Dan

Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/test...bility-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5023 Times on 2994 Posts
Likes Given: 4201

I fill 2 nalgene-type bottles with trub every time I empty a keg (they are about 8 ounces). If I use within about 2 months, I just pitch them into the new beer - no starter.

Older than that, I will do a 3L starter to get the yeast active again. It's my rule-of-thumb.

BTW, I reuse saved S-04 and S-05. I know they are cheap, but I'm the product of Dutch ancestors, set in my niggardly ways.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
nabeast
Recipes 

Do you know how many starters I can make from one batch of old yeast?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5023 Times on 2994 Posts
Likes Given: 4201

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabeast View Post
There's about 2 quarts of trub down there, maybe more. I use about a cup of that trub to innoculate a new 5g carboy, so my answer is.... [drumroll sounds from apron right of stage... ]

Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6249 Times on 4453 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

I just looked in my fridge. I have some nice looking yeast labeled "pacman October 2009". I probably won't use it, because I'm not entirely sure that it's perfectly fine. But anything less than 6 months that looks and smells good is fair game!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabeast View Post
Not sure what you are asking here?

Are you talking about how many generations you could re-use this old yeast or are you asking how many times you could split the old batch of yeast?

I would not reuse more than 5 generations myself.

If you are talking about splitting it and build it up in starters then the sky is the limit.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
907brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I just looked in my fridge. I have some nice looking yeast labeled "pacman October 2009". I probably won't use it, because I'm not entirely sure that it's perfectly fine. But anything less than 6 months that looks and smells good is fair game!
In this case I wouldn't throw it out, try a starter with it. It may take a little longer to kick off, but if it goes then you have good yeast! Worth a try. I get all my yeast from my local brewery's, it's always fresh and active and free!