Winemaking for the Homebrewer - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Winemaking for the Homebrewer

Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Apr 2011
New Brunswick, NJ

I've been homebrewing for about a year and a half now and would like to try out wine. My question is what do you think I would need to buy equipment-wise considering that I have all of my homebrewing equipment on hand.

Doing a little bit of research, this is what I came up with:

8 gallon plastic bucket
6 gallon carboy
Something to degas the wine

I already have a siphon, hydrometer, sanitizer, cleaning supplies, airlocks, and other fun items that I use for beer.

Am I on the right track here?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Aug 2008
Chicago area
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

That's pretty much it, but add some miscellaneous chemicals and test kits if you're really going to get into it, but basically if you have the vessels and airlocks for beer you can use those and get everything else when you need it. Wine is a much longer process so you can spread out the investment.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4927 Times on 3326 Posts

Acid Blend, pH test kit (for wine), degassing tool, Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate, Yest Nutrient..

Mostly the small and cheap chems and tools. I'd look at using cheap plastic carboys for short term use, and glass carboys for aging. If you like making wine, you might want a couple, since they can sit for many months.