DIY breaking the law

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, I am not the OP. I didn't do this. I am merely commenting on the responses.

Regarding my maturity level, I certainly do not pretend to be mature at all. In this case, I am trying to fit in based on the level of maturity in the responses. Therefore, let me state: neener neener.

If you read the thread I made jokes about the situation at the beginning. It wasn't until some uninformed fellow stated that these actions hurt no one. When in fact, this is one specific issue that affects EVERYONE.

I'll pull the undies out a tad if you learn a little responsibility and quit expecting everyone else to pay for your mistakes...

I'm 100% with mcarb on this one. And Bobby_M for that matter. If I owned the store and found somebody doing this, he would be shown the outside; through a wall. After I dusted myself off and came back inside, however, I would chuckle heartily. The ridiculousness of somebody building something so useful and intricate and not being able to purchase it is completely funny to me. Frankly, it saddens me a bit that most of you don't find this story amusing at all. Judgmental stone throwers is how it comes across.

He's completely in the wrong here, but the story is great reading! Come on guys. It's OK to laugh.

I'm 100% with mcarb on this one. And Bobby_M for that matter. If I owned the store and found somebody doing this, he would be shown the outside; through a wall. After I dusted myself off and came back inside, however, I would chuckle heartily. The ridiculousness of somebody building something so useful and intricate and not being able to purchase it is completely funny to me. Frankly, it saddens me a bit that most of you don't find this story amusing at all. Judgmental stone throwers is how it comes across.

He's completely in the wrong here, but the story is great reading! Come on guys. It's OK to laugh.

So let me get this straight... you would show him the outside "through a wall" but the people who aren't entertained by his antics are the judgemental stone throwers? Gotcha.

If he throws me out through the wall.. Then hes a breaker.. But i guess he has to rebuild it (builder). Also i told the story, the humorous story, in CHIT CHAT!! This is the place for funny stories and random junk so why cast it in such a serious light. If you actually read i never tried to say i was a god damn freedom fighter or tried to make it seem like i did something positive. Keep that in mind i think ill change my sig on that

Do you run a brick store? That would make sense, otherwise I would select something you sell otherwise you are going to have to take a trip to the brick store and I've been told that guy throws bricks at people's faces.
Cosby6.gif

If he throws me out through the wall.. Then hes a breaker.. But i guess he has to rebuild it (builder). Also i told the story, the humorous story, in CHIT CHAT!! This is the place for funny stories and random junk so why cast it in such a serious light. If you actually read i never tried to say i was a god damn freedom fighter or tried to make it seem like i did something positive. Keep that in mind i think ill change my sig on that

actually I think this thread is better suited for drunken ramblings and mindless mumblings

If I was a betting man, I bet this is exactly what the OP wanted.

I'm not on a horse, but I imagine it looks that way from the gutter.

Classic...

Back to the post...
The other issue that i have with the OP and some of the responses that support it/him is that there's no acknowledgement of the worker that has to deal with this nonsense and replace and reorganize this crap. Yeah... he's probably doing crap like this part of the day... cleaning up messes that unsupervised 3-5 year olds make while their parents are looking through the appliances. But seriously? This is NOT some statement of rebellion against big monopolies or corporations, in the end, the employee and the customer (as indicated in one of the above posts) gets ef'd. Why?

And again HUGE HUGE difference between a fictitious joke and the telling of a story that may (probably) be the truth that in the end just efs up the day of someone trying to make a living.... The people that can't/don't understand this have never worked retail...

Worked in retail.. Its not that emotional at all lol.

Maybe im just.. Tellin a damn story.

underground and under the influence

mr-rogers.jpg

Brother... since your 22, still live at home, and answer to your parents... I seriously doubt ANYTHING is that "emotional" for you since you have a nice financial AND emotional crutch to always fall back on...

I snaked it when they were redoing the alley behind the fire house I was at (the firehouse was 100+ years old). When they tore up the first few layers they exposed the old cobblestone and they were just going to landfill them so <grab grab=""> . . . I broke 1, lost 1, still have the 3rd . . . just a bit altered (fireman joke)</grab>

That's actually pretty cool and it kept you away from the Brick Store.

Honestly I don't know how that guy stays in business.

Did I just get Cosbied? I think so.

Alot of assumptions in there, brrrother!

I have that hanging above my bed a a reminder of why I eat spaghetti daily and always remember to take my vitamins.

Dude calm down, it's a multi million dollar corporation. Comparatively, scaling down to the level of a household, no I wouldn't care if someone came and ruined $0.02 of my stuff.

I guess you don't care that sH#t like this is what causes prices to go up. And you don't care that some poor guy making about $9.00 per hour gets to try to salvage his mess.

No this is definitely NOT COOL and anyone who gets a laugh out of it is also an A@@.

Builders and breakers. That's what I tell my kids.

Some people are part of the noble human experiment, carving art out of chaos. Building something from nothing, conceiving great things and giving them form with sweat and muscle.

The other group kicks over sand castles, spray paints bridge abutments, returns art to chaos.

I'm hoping my kids are builders. But we'll see.

I'm not so polite. Winners and Losers. This guy is a loser. I don't mind, more room for me at the top.

Oh, I forgot, Airborne is a cop... so yeah... my point proven... kind of a bad forum for such a joke if you are looking for a lot of laughs.

So let me get this straight... you would show him the outside "through a wall" but the people who aren't entertained by his antics are the judgemental stone throwers? Gotcha.

Yes. As the fictional owner of this store, I would have a right to get upset about it as it was my dollars and cents he was effing with. It has zero impact on the rest of us. And to those that think something like this drives up costs, you are waaaayyyyy over exaggerating the impact of loss in retail stores. It's like item 168 on the list of things that drive up costs.

And again HUGE HUGE difference between a fictitious joke and the telling of a story that may (probably) be the truth that in the end just efs up the day of someone trying to make a living.... The people that can't/don't understand this have never worked retail...

I worked retail for 10 years. What you either never learned in retail or have forgotten since working there is that people getting paid $8 an hour do crappy "clean this up" or "put this back together" tasks all the time. In fact, retail at big box stores is pretty much defined as a non-stop array of unrelated fire-drill tasks. Nobody in retail could ever finish the list of menial tasks. This didn't ruin anybody's day. It may have been a pain to clean up after (no more so than any other task), but I promise you it was more interesting to the fine soul who was given the task than anything else they had done at work that day!

I guess you don't care that sH#t like this is what causes prices to go up. And you don't care that some poor guy making about $9.00 per hour gets to try to salvage his mess.

No this is definitely NOT COOL and anyone who gets a laugh out of it is also an A@@.

See above. This in no way will effect Home Depot pricing.

I think it quite funny. But I acknowledge, it was a d!ck thing to do. But as far as d!ck moves go, this at least was funny. Ya'll have zero sense of humor. As somebody who worked retail for a lot of years, you realize THIS is exactly what you're paid to do and anybody who has worked retail for any length of time would find humor in something like this. I know I did. If you get your panties in a twist about it, retail isn't something you should pursue.

i just got back from eating a chicago dog, a chili dog with coleslaw, and fries.

Yes. As the fictional owner of this store, I would have a right to get upset about it as it was my dollars and cents he was effing with.

Perhaps you're not aware that loss is like item 168 on the list of things that drive up costs, so obviously, as an owner, you wouldn't be concerned. You have 167 more important things to worry about. Remember?

And to those that think something like this drives up costs, you are waaaayyyyy over exaggerating the impact of loss in retail stores. It's like item 168 on the list of things that drive up costs.

but I promise you it was more interesting to the fine soul who was given the task than anything else they had done at work that day!

Why, cuz you talked to him? Oh, or just because you're projecting the fact that it would have been interesting to you on someone else. One of those two, I guess.

I think it quite funny. But I acknowledge, it was a d!ck thing to do. But as far as d!ck moves go, this at least was funny. Ya'll have zero sense of humor. As somebody who worked retail for a lot of years, you realize THIS is exactly what you're paid to do and anybody who has worked retail for any length of time would find humor in something like this. I know I did. If you get your panties in a twist about it, retail isn't something you should pursue.

I think this sums up a lot of the issue. This entire thing is a projection. The only person you're in any position to speak for is yourself, and yet you continually project that anyone in a similar position should react exactly as you would. You honestly seem to think that just because YOU found humor in it, that anyone who worked in retail for any length of time would find humor in it. Really? Think about what you're saying. If you want to find humor in this, by all means go for it. But to think that anyone else in that situation would, and even SHOULD, find humor... fascinating.

Ah well, you clearly have everything figured out. Just try not to be pissed the next time you're in a bad situation because someone else couldn't fathom that YOU would feel a different way about a situation than they would.

Empathy is a lost art.

discnjh said:
Perhaps you're not aware that loss is like item 168 on the list of things that drive up costs, so obviously, as an owner, you wouldn't be concerned. You have 167 more important things to worry about. Remember?

Wow. You really put me in my place. Your logic is so flawed as to be laughable. I mentioned the loss as a minimal contributor because it's the truth. My business is small business consulting. I work with financial statements and business and pricing strategies every day. Being confronted face to face with theft/vandalism and doing nothing about it is irresponsible, but for consumers to think that loss plays into cost increases in any substantial way is simply false. The two statements both stand on their own and aren't contradictory.

discnjh said:
Why, cuz you talked to him? Oh, or just because you're projecting the fact that it would have been interesting to you on someone else. One of those two, I guess.

Nope. As you so brilliantly deducted, I never talked to this employee. And I suppose you could say I am projecting. But it's not so much my personal feeling as it is experience. Most retail jobs are mind-numbing (especially at big box stores). I've had several. The vast majority of retail colleagues I had would back that statement up. If you took a poll of retail workers now, I would bet a year's salary the majority would also agree. And this is based on my consulting work now - not idle speculation.

discnjh said:
I think this sums up a lot of the issue. This entire thing is a projection. The only person you're in any position to speak for is yourself, and yet you continually project that anyone in a similar position should react exactly as you would. You honestly seem to think that just because YOU found humor in it, that anyone who worked in retail for any length of time would find humor in it. Really? Think about what you're saying. If you want to find humor in this, by all means go for it. But to think that anyone else in that situation would, and even SHOULD, find humor... fascinating.

It may be a projection, but it's less about "should" react and more about "would" react. Anything that happens as a retail worker that breaks the tedium of being on your feet for 8 hours doing largely non-thought provoking repetitious labor is seen as a good thing. So an act of vandalism or theft or whatever you classify this as would be seen as strange. In retail, for the vast number of employees, strange is good.

Do I think the employees saw this as humorous? I don't know. But I can say with relative certainty that they didn't view this as some great tragedy that ruined their workday or even made it the slightest bit worse. Remember, it's likely these folks at some point during their week cleaned up vomit in an aisle or dealt with a backed up toilet. Compare that to this "outlandish act" and it's not even a blip on the radar.

discnjh said:
Empathy is a lost art.

Given the total lack of empathy shown by the majority of posters in this thread to a HBT poster was so obviously depressed and in a rough spot, I totally agree. No empathy to his situation, just insults and judgements. But I'M the bad guy...

Im not a god damn breaker! I BUILT an amazing mash tun!! Plus is this like the poor vs job creators bc at the end of the day neither do **** so get off the high horse. Go spray paint its good for you :ban:

Pictures or it never happened

I thought the story was hilarious.

It had a jobless loser who lives at home with his parents. who went to a hardware store and built something useful but had to leave it because he was to broke to pay for it.

509inc said:
I thought the story was hilarious.

It had a jobless loser who lives at home with his parents. who went to a hardware store and built something useful but had to leave it because he was to broke to pay for it.

Someone who understands me!

Breakers of the world, Unite!!

I honestly never thought this would hit 12 pages. I wanna see that number be 120

Wow. You really put me in my place. Your logic is so flawed as to be laughable. I mentioned the loss as a minimal contributor because it's the truth. My business is small business consulting. I work with financial statements and business and pricing strategies every day. Being confronted face to face with theft/vandalism and doing nothing about it is irresponsible, but for consumers to think that loss plays into cost increases in any substantial way is simply false. The two statements both stand on their own and aren't contradictory.

EDIT: one point of clarity about my original comment.. I wasn't trying to imply that an owner shouldn't do anything, just that if the financial impact is negligible, then throwing someone through a wall is overkill. :D now, back to my original post.

You have no in any way explained why its flawed logic. If there are 168 things that are more important that loss in regards to cost, then there are 168 things that are more important to loss in regards to profit margin, since profit margin is a direct, 1:1 function of costs. If is insubstantial from a cost perspectve, then it is insubstantial from a profit perspective.

As for the rest, you're going to feel the way you're going to feel, and that's fine. But if you wanna call my logic out, you oughta try at least explaining why.

Given the total lack of empathy shown by the majority of posters in this thread to a HBT poster was so obviously depressed and in a rough spot, I totally agree. No empathy to his situation, just insults and judgements. But I'M the bad guy...

So nice of you to be looking out for the little guy. :D

Empathy does not mean you have to agree with another persons actions or think they made the right decision, just that you can recognize and relate to the feelings of other. Many here could empathically relate to the feelings of losing a job, I'm sure, but that does not require that they then agree with or overlook his response to those emotions. So people who judge his actions may or may not be lacking in empathy.

As for his "obvious depression", well, maybe he can speak to that, but I haven't seen anything in any of his comments that implies any depression.

How bout it, 2brew? feeling depressed?

Underground and under the influence.
I sell propane and propane accessories.
Bob Vance, Vance refrigeration
Bob Vance, Vance refrigeration
Bob Vance, Vance refrigeration.

Original motto. ;)

discnjh said:
So nice of you to be looking out for the little guy. :D

Empathy does not mean you have to agree with another persons actions or think they made the right decision, just that you can recognize and relate to the feelings of other. Many here could empathically relate to the feelings of losing a job, I'm sure, but that does not require that they then agree with or overlook his response to those emotions. So people who judge his actions may or may not be lacking in empathy.

As for his "obvious depression", well, maybe he can speak to that, but I haven't seen anything in any of his comments that implies any depression.

How bout it, 2brew? feeling depressed?

I was. My emotions drove my poor choice. My motives are not my own.. At least God forgives me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back