Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > I think i finally caught some!!

Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
frod1963
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I put out an Agar plate open on my back deck for about 10 hours one week ago. I then closed it up and let it sit in my kitchen upside down and sealed until last night. I had an interesting mix of what seemed to be two small patches of yeast and various other molds. I re-plated the two colonies to two fresh plates late last night and here Is what one looked like this afternoon about 17 hours after transfer. Plan is to bring them with me to my Micro class next Saturday and check them out and maybe isolate some pure colonies. Then it's into a nice blonde base beer for testing. I'll add some better pictures as this thing comes alive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-654866937.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	37101

Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hope it works out for you, the saison I made with mine is quite tasty although it isnt carbed yet.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
frod1963
Recipes 

Checked the "yeast" out under a microscope in lab this past Saturday and it looked promising. I was able to see nuclei which means that it's not bacteria. I did a 1L starter around 1.030 and used about 100ml to inoculate from the plate. After 36 hours I added about another 200ml of wort. So far it still smells a little sweet and slightly musty? Maybe I caught some Brett instead?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1250560442.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	37962

Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The easiest way to tell if you have brett or not is to use a wild yeast differential media like Lins Cupric Sulfate Medium. I don't know of recipes that you can use for differentiation besides just a bottle of LCSM. I will check a folder at school that was left to the lab assistants. Apparently it has a giant packet of media recipes that the previous Micro prof left for us to use. I need to copy it for myself anyway so this will remind me to check.

Another way for you to check is to compare a plated sample of a known Saccharomyces yeast to your captured yeast. Then you can also check a known Brettanomyces and see which one it more closely resembles. The bretts are typically smaller and more oblong than round when fully grown. Another potential way would be to make MYPG plates at about 5 pH and then add a bromocresol green pH indicator if possible. The brett should produce acetic acid in the presence of oxygen which after 4-5 days of growth on the plate should change the color of the plate from blueish to puke green. I haven't used that method myself but I will look into if my school has the pH indicator and give it a shot.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
frod1963
Recipes 

Sounds good. I'll have to see if we have any of the LCSM media in the lab.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
jaapie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frod1963 View Post
Sounds good. I'll have to see if we have any of the LCSM media in the lab.
If you find some, could you post the ingredients? I am trying to find a recipe for LP, LCSM, LMDA and LWYM, but even the Handbook of Microbiological media (more than 7000 recipes and formulations) makes no mention of either one of these.

Jasper