Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Crystal/CaraPils in Mash?

Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
ColoradoXJ13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Crystal/CaraPils in Mash?

I am brewing up an IPA for a local brewpubs contest this weekend, and I am trying to replicate a PM IPA I made a while back but do it AG this time. The last one was really good, I am pretty much following the hop additions, but want to add more mouthiness.

The malt bill on the first one was
8# Pale Malt Extract
2# Great Western Pale Malt
1# Crystal 15L

For this one I am thinking
12# 2-row
2# Crystal 20L
2# Crystal 10L
2# Carapils

I was thinking I would mash the 2-row for an hour at 154*F, then add the crystal and carapils for 10 min, lauter, and batch sparge a couple times. I want to get all the mouthiness out of the crystal and carapils but not mash them (I don't think you can mash them anyway no?)

The main thing is that I have to keep is <8% ABV (contest rules), so the 12# of 2-row gets me to 1.067 OG (ignoring the non-fermentables from the crystal and carapils) and the yeast strain I am using got me 85% attenuation on the last AG I did with it so that takes me to a FG of 1.010 and 7.6% ABV.

Does all this sound reasonable? Any changes I should make?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Have you ever brewed a batch with 33% crystal malts? If you have and it's turned out to your liking there's nothing wrong with it.

I think that might be way too sweet for what you're looking for. Maybe go with 1 lb of each you have listed, that's ~16% crystal, still might be a bit much, but a place to start anyway.

Also, why are you only throwing in the crystal at the end of the mash? By only having it in for 10min aren't you going to get less sugars, flavor out of them? That would be my concern.

Drinking: 2013 & 2011 Makers Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, American Barleywine

Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Way too much in adjunts as uwmgdman said. Try keeping your adjunts to 10% or thereabouts.
mashing at 154 would increase your mouthfeel. If you want the sweetness then just go with a higher crystal L rating and lower the amount you want.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6223 Times on 4435 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Yeah, I gotta wonder why you would want to quadruple the amount of crystal, if it was a beer you liked before. I'd keep the same basic recipe- and mash at 154 or 155 like you said. And throw the crystal right in the mash- no reason to keep it out. I've never used great western malt so I don't know what that added in the original recipe, but you could always add some different malt along with your two row to give you some different characteristics if that's what you might be missing in the AG version. Just a thought.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

For mouthfeel, I usually add around 1/2 to 1 pound of Cara Pils. 1/2 will give you a "medium" mouthfeel, 1 lb. will generally give you a "full" mouthfeel, like for a stout (this is per 5 - 5.5 gal.). You probably will want to go with 1/2 pound of Cara Pils, and up to 1 lb each of your crystal. Plus, mash temp has a lot to do with it all, so maybe mash higher (154-156) and go with 4-8 oz of Cara Pils. Change a little and learn from the changes, then adjust from there. Just my 2 sheckles.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

WAY too much crystal malt, as everyone has said. All of that will be unfermentable sugar, and it will be a gooey, disgustingly cloying sweet beer.

Carapils is the best way to get body and mouthfeel. Or experiment with mash thickness and mash temperature and create the body naturally.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-19-2007, 03:17 AM   #7
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

You have to mash carapils or you'll get starch haze. I concur with what everyone has said. But I would think that your mouthfeel should be fine without carapils for such a high ABV brew (the crystal helps with that as well).
Keg 2: Empty

Old 04-19-2007, 03:27 AM   #8
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im doing a SNPA clone this week. Ive read a couple places where the head brewer himself said take the 60L to 12% to get the 12 SRM that it has. All the other results Ive heard from homebrewers say its a damn close clone. Ive never mashed this much crystal, so we'll see. 1.375#s of crystal malt in a 5.5 gallon batch.......

Well this should be interesting. We'll see

Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 AM   #9
Yeast Infection
Recipes 

Dan aka Coloradoxji
You should do two small batches; one like you propose, and then one like everyone suggests. Then analyze the wort and final beer product via chromatography to see how the starting grains effect(or is it affect) your sugar profile......
or is that overboard?

Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeast Infection
Dan aka Coloradoxji
You should do two small batches; one like you propose, and then one like everyone suggests. Then analyze the wort and final beer product via chromatography to see how the starting grains effect(or is it affect) your sugar profile......
or is that overboard?
Um, what have you been "drinking" tonight?