Checking Gravity - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Checking Gravity

Old 10-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
jhart94949
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Novato, CA
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts

I brewed on Saturday. (O.G=1.060), checked today 1.019, my question is; should I be checking gravity often? Or am I going to jack it up checking it that often.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #2

Yes, when you constantly open your fermentor, the risk of infection goes up each time.

Rule of thumb for most of us on here: 3-4 weeks in primary for anything other than IPAs and Wheats.

I know it can be tough waiting, but your beer will definitely improve with time. I typically let my beers sit for 3 weeks, then I check gravity. I'll let it sit for another 3-4 days, then I'll check it again. If it's good to go, I'll bottle or keg.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
nilo

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Seattle, WA
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

I think it depends. If you would like to minimize contamination risks and lost of beer, assuming you are using a hydrometer and bucket, you can wait 10 to 14days to start taking gravity readings to check for a completed fermentation (same gravity 3 samples in a row). From there, you can leave another week or two before bottling or kegging.
Some people have a spigot and refractometer, so contamination is less of a problem and no beer goes to waste, so daily samples from start to end are not a big deal if one likes that type of control.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
jhart94949
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Novato, CA

It is an IPA, I plan on leaving it in the primary another week, then racking to secondary and fry hopping. I just didnt know if it is possible to check tje gravity go much....

Old 10-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts

You won't harm it, assuming you sanitized the wine thief or turkey baster when you took your sample.

I always think about what I"m going to do about any readings I take. If I'm going to make sure fermentation started, for example, a reading like you took is just fine. If I'm waiting to see if the beer is done, I'll wait a few more days before checking the gravity.

I normally leave the beers in the fermenter for 10-14 days, so unless I"m concerned that there is a problem, I normally don't check the SG unless I'm planning on doing something- packaging, dryhopping, etc.

But you didn't do any harm by checking now! It'll be fine.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
jhart94949
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Novato, CA

I used the spigot on my primary bucket, my secondary is a glass carboy. I just wanted to see where my abv is. I did the 1% booster and it has been 5 days and I am at anout 5.5% abv. The recipe says without the 1% boost I should hit around 6.5%, I am hoping for 7%, but if I am 5 days in and only @ 5.5% do u think I will hit my target of 7%??

Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
annasdadhockey

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Kingston, PA
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart94949 View Post
It is an IPA, I plan on leaving it in the primary another week, then racking to secondary and fry hopping
Doesn't the oil kill your head retention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
jhart94949
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Novato, CA

Lol, fat fingers on this stupid ass phone!