A question of Age... Or aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWKBrewing13

Reaction score
hey guys, i have a question about proper aging. It pertains to both beer and cider. I had one batch of cider turn to vinegar i believe (jury still out)

I realize i have made some mistakes like not having exactly 5 gallons (more oxygen space in carboy) and not properly sanitizing (idophor needs 15 minutes constant contact time so I was told, the other LHBS said swish it around a for a few minutes)

So How can you age your beer/cider? If you brew a cider in primary for 4 weeks can you go straight to a keg to age? At what temp? Do you pressurize it when aging in a keg? Should it be in a carboy instead?

With either (beer or cider) can you age in a keg? at what temp? should it be a colder for aging? or does the lower temp not really age the beer or cider?

Thanks in Advance
-Andrew

Leave the beer/cider in primary for 28 days, and then rack to keg or secondary...

Additional aging is best at 55 degrees, not under pressure(the pressure part is somewhat controversial...see pressure fermentation).

When you have decided aging is accomplished, keg, refridgerate, and carb.

This is the traditional approach, but experiment and read up on the subject. Beer will age in the keg under gas and cold, but i beleive slower than in carboy.

Unless the beer in question is roughly 10% ABV or more, I'm not looking to age my beers at all. They're best fresh. If they aren't best fresh, they are fairly complex, or something went wrong during fermentation.

My typical 1.055 beer goes grain to glass in about 17-21 days, and is best 1-2 weeks later after a little time in the keg.

what about a 8-9% Scotch or Scottish Ale. I dunno if i will hit the 10% mark for quite some time but i know i will try to target the 8-9 range. Thanks guys

Or benbradford. i wasnt sure if you meant cider beer (graff) or cider or beer. I meant the two individually to clarify. Cider seems like a more complex creature and I really to make good cider.

Ales I try to ferment around 68. So then rack, in a cool environment 55-60 for a couple weeks then keg or bottle.

Cider primary 3-4 weeks @ what temp? 70? then rack to get off lees, in a cool enviroment 55-60 degrees, then keg or bottle.

Those two sound right?
Also for bottle aging (not condititioning) Does the 55-60 degrees still apply?
For bottle CONDITIONING room temp right? so the yeast works?

Or benbradford. i wasnt sure if you meant cider beer (graff) or cider or beer. I meant the two individually to clarify. Cider seems like a more complex creature and I really to make good cider.-Yup, meant beer or cider...

Ales I try to ferment around 68. So then rack, in a cool environment 55-60 for a couple weeks then keg or bottle. Yes

Cider primary 3-4 weeks @ what temp? 70? then rack to get off lees, in a cool enviroment 55-60 degrees, then keg or bottle.yes

Those two sound right?
Also for bottle aging (not condititioning) Does the 55-60 degrees still apply? yes
For bottle CONDITIONING room temp right? so the yeast works?yes

what about a 8-9% Scotch or Scottish Ale. I dunno if i will hit the 10% mark for quite some time but i know i will try to target the 8-9 range. Thanks guys
Every style is different. Scottish is much smaller than a Scotch ale, but it's still takes longer than the standard ale. I'm doing a Scottish right now that's going to primary 3 weeks at 55, then it will get a month of cold lagering before it gets carbed to serve.

Back