IPL? (India Pale Lager) - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPL? (India Pale Lager)

Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #21
stubbornman
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts

Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #22
stevea1210
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Lancaster, PA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If stoudts is in your area, you have to try their smooth hoperator. A hoppy dopplebock. All summit and Amarillo. Wonderful.

Smooth Hoperator - Stoudts Brewing Co. - Adamstown, PA - BeerAdvocate

Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #23
moose123
Recipes 

Feb 2011
fort collins, co

Joes pilsner from Avery is really bitter but awesone

Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #24
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2012
Schaumburg, Illinois
Liked 252 Times on 169 Posts

I have not attempted a lager yet as I don't have the temperature controlled environment yet. So, please don't slam my question here, as I have not researched the subject. But, what if you went through all of the normal lager steps, but let the temperature come back up a bit at the very end for a week of dry hopping, then bottled or kegged immediately after that and cold crashed? As I've said, I haven't researched it enough, so if it was a stupid suggestion, I apologize, just trying to throw out an idea.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Plymouth, MA
Liked 495 Times on 297 Posts

Jack's Abbey out of Framingham Mass. They are redefining the world of lagers and they are all amazing. They do an IPL and now even a double IPL. They are amazing...along with almost all their beers. Did I mention they are amazing? Seriously, best brewery in mass.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Omaha, NE
Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts

Sam Adams has a new seasonal "Double Agent IPL" which is actually pretty tasty.
Primary/Secondary

Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Omaha, NE
Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I just watched the 2 videos of SA's infinium. Holy cow,a champagne beer style? With help in the learning process of over 2 years to figure out how to make it from weinhestephan in Germany. After seeing it poured & described,it gives me new insights. It's bottle conditioned with a second yeast type as well. And some of the other "extreme beers" they have in those black bottles like the Spanish champagne I've gotten around here in the wooden case with 2 tulip glasses. Freiksne,or something like that. So many beers from commonly known companies I never get to see.
Also, union, if you ever see "Deus" at a store and want to spend 30 bucks, pick it up. Infinium is meh to me, but Deus is absolutely fantastic.
Primary/Secondary

Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
zmanzorro
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Dallas, Texas
Liked 194 Times on 125 Posts

New Belgium's Shift is labeled as a Pale Lager, but has a really nice hop profile to it with 29 IBUs. Not quite in the IPA range, still a good hoppy lager.

- Martin Luther

Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #29
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Where We Park It!
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatrickv View Post
Sam Adams has a new seasonal "Double Agent IPL" which is actually pretty tasty.
Yeah, I'm a HopHead and just tried SA IPL and was pretty impressed with it!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #30
Mdsutton
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2012
Pompano Beach, FL
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
A regular lager would be a bit light for all those hops. But a red lager seems to me like it'd work better. Red Man IPA anyone? Red River IPA?
Funny, that is exactly what I am brewing! I started this last weekend. Won't know how it test for a few months.
Started with an Irish Red Ale, over hopped, and a Lager yeast.

Will give more details after tasting.