Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long will my hops last in the freezer?

Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
b-tone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long will my hops last in the freezer?

I know its been discussed, but I had a hard time searching for hop storage with "hop" not being a search-able term. Anyway, I bought 8 oz. each of Amarillo, Columbus, and Chinook pellets about 5 months ago, and due to some circumstances out of my control have not used them as quickly as I hoped, and have about 6 oz. of each left. I've had them in the freezer the whole time, so I know they are supposed to be alright in theory, but I was wondering if anyone has some first hand experience dealing with long term freezer storage. Any adverse effects? If so, has anyone run into needing to upping their amounts in a recipe? Any opinions/experiences greatly appreciated, thanks.

Kegged: Schoo-Fly Stout, Saison Jermaine, Pale #11
On Deck: Dry Cider

Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Many hops will last 6-8 months at room temperature. In a freezer, several years. I normally buy hops once a year, just after the harvest and freeze them.

I have some Columbus pellets that are almost two years old & they still pack a punch.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Raffie
Recipes 

I got a food saver and the remaining hops get vacuum packed and into the freezer...

Old 04-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffie
I got a food saver and the remaining hops get vacuum packed and into the freezer...
Yup...this is what I do. I have about a dozen different leaf hops, the bulk of which are Cascade as I love to dryhop with it.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Many hops will last 6-8 months at room temperature. In a freezer, several years. I normally buy hops once a year, just after the harvest and freeze them.

I have some Columbus pellets that are almost two years old & they still pack a punch.

David that's a really good idea. What time I'm assuming in the fall is just after the harvest and who do you think is good to buy from?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[quote=Raffie]I got a food saver and the remaining hops get vacuum packed and into the freezer...[/quote

this is the best way (and the way I do it) as it prevents oxygen from reacting with the hops to deteroite (sp) them.
Another way i have seen is to put them into 2 litre PET bottles and purge with CO2 and freeze them.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

I get them from Dave Wills at freshops, but if you are buying pounds, hopsdirect might be a little better. Dave will post when he has the new harvest in. He has his own farm and buys other hops from the locals.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-19-2007, 02:43 AM   #8
Willsellout

Recipes 

I am planning on buying at the end of the harvest as well and stock up for the year..that's the only way to do it.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 04-19-2007, 04:04 AM   #9
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Until you use it up RDWHAHB
Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:54 AM   #10
skou
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffie
Belive it or not, this is what most HBSs do. Except we use those silver bags that computer parts come in, since they are oxygen impermeable. Yes, we use NEW bags!

steve