Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advise on how to deal with a "blonde"

Old 10-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Hose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advise on how to deal with a "blonde"

Getting ready to work on a little Blonde this weekend. Looking for advice on how much honey and at what point in the boil it should be added. Striving for just a hint of that sweet taste in the background. My ingredients are as follows-

Extract 5 gals.
60 minute boil
5 lbs. Extra light dry extract, 3.0 srm
1 lb Cara Pils/ Dextrine , 2.0 srm
.5 oz cascade hops
.5 oz centennial hops
1 pkg Nottingham yeast
Irish moss

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Well, you put the blond on her back and make sure the honey is warm before you drizzle onto her...uhm, err, oh a blonde ale right.

Honey ferments out completely so you aren't going to get a honey sweetness from fermenting it, you will get the actual flavor of the honey which is easy to cover up with hops, especially C-hops. If you want that full honey flavor you'd need to do something like ferment the beer out, filter the yeast, and then add honey. I haven't brewed to much with honey, but when I have I have added it at flameout and I have added directly into the carboy. For your recipe I'd go with around .5 lb.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Hose
Recipes 

Bensiff, certainly good advice when going after any sweet delight. I'll let you know how this turns out---the beer that is.