Pale Chocolate Malt Idea ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
I know techinically when using Pale Chocolate malt, you are suppose to use a small dosage. Has anyone ever used Pale Chocolate Malt as a major grain on their grain bill before.. I am just thinking about goofin around with a small test batch with about 25% being pale chocolate..any ideas or thoughts????

Hehe, I think it's a good idea but it will be a very dark stout!! The taste will be really intense!! I have a recipe, an Imperial Russian Stout with 1kg (it's 20% of my grain bill) of chocolate malt in 20L and I get a very, very dark beer, thick and with a lot of coffee and chocolate tastes. In my second version, I reduced to 0.8kg and the taste was the same, no difference. It's good if you like stout (it's not a Guinness!!). Good luck!

You might like it, but I'd also try a one gallon BIAB stove top test version before commiting to five gallons. Be interested to hear how it turns out.

Thanks so much! I went ahead and brewed it last night. I decided to make it a milk stout!! The color was so intense. More than anything tho, the smell brewing was awesome. I am really looking forward to trying it. I only brewed a one gallon batch and if it is good, which by the way it smelled, i will brew a larger batch. Should be a good one with around estimated 8.5% alcohol! Thanks again and I'll keep y'all posted.

Back