Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pale Chocolate Malt Idea ??

Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Bigapinnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Pale Chocolate Malt Idea ??

I know techinically when using Pale Chocolate malt, you are suppose to use a small dosage. Has anyone ever used Pale Chocolate Malt as a major grain on their grain bill before.. I am just thinking about goofin around with a small test batch with about 25% being pale chocolate..any ideas or thoughts????

Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Docthorjp
Recipes 

Hehe, I think it's a good idea but it will be a very dark stout!! The taste will be really intense!! I have a recipe, an Imperial Russian Stout with 1kg (it's 20% of my grain bill) of chocolate malt in 20L and I get a very, very dark beer, thick and with a lot of coffee and chocolate tastes. In my second version, I reduced to 0.8kg and the taste was the same, no difference. It's good if you like stout (it's not a Guinness!!). Good luck!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 764 Times on 558 Posts
Likes Given: 621

You might like it, but I'd also try a one gallon BIAB stove top test version before commiting to five gallons. Be interested to hear how it turns out.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Bigapinnc
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks so much! I went ahead and brewed it last night. I decided to make it a milk stout!! The color was so intense. More than anything tho, the smell brewing was awesome. I am really looking forward to trying it. I only brewed a one gallon batch and if it is good, which by the way it smelled, i will brew a larger batch. Should be a good one with around estimated 8.5% alcohol! Thanks again and I'll keep y'all posted.