Fairfax County, VA water - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fairfax County, VA water

Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
LAKing
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Falls Church, Virginia

Any body on here brew in Fairfax County, VA? Do you use straight tap water to brew your beer?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Beerknapper
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Oakton, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We moved here 2 years ago and I've brewed a couple batches here. I am not a fan of the tap water here in general even for drinking, so I haven't brewed without filtering it or buying gallons of water.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
moose7710
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Reston VA

I actualy like the water in fairfax. I've never had a problem using it straight from the tap. You can check out the water reports on www.fcwa.org.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
SwillBilly
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Burke/W.Springfield, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Been brewing with FFX Co tap water for a couple years. Never had an issue with the water. Its fine.
Keg 4: Munich Helles
Primary: English Barleywine, XPA, Breakfast Stout
Secondary:
Bottle: Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Bourbon Barrel Sour Oud Bruin, Wine Barrel Sour Belgian Single.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
banesong
Middle Ground Brewing Company
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Northern, va
Liked 544 Times on 433 Posts

I brew with water from my house filter from Amway. The water itself tastes pretty good; SWMBO is just paranoid.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
ItalianGuy78
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Lorton, VA

Fairfax County water is pretty drinkable, though it does have some additives.

I have a Pur filter on my kitchen tap. I'm using Mr. Beer for my brewing currently, and all my water is filtered.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
doc_rob
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Fairfax, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I talked to Bill Madden, brewer at Mad Fox, and asked him what they did with their water (I'm not sure if Falls Church City has a different water supply from Fairfax Co). He said they occasionally add some salts to soften or harden the water to style, but usually don't do anything. He said he was considering getting an RO system for beers like the Kolsch (so he could start from a blank slate), but their Kolsch is already great and their Kolsch Kellerbier won gold at the GABF this year so I don't think they're doing too bad with the FC water as-is. For most of their beers they charcoal filter and that's it.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
DrunkleJon
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Liked 2506 Times on 1764 Posts

I have had no problems with the water itself. Though I am not all that deep into water chemistry yet. I also seem to remember seeing a thread/whatever somewhere saying that the water was good for homebrewing. Though that may have been a couple years ago.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
vtron
Recipes 

May 2011
annandale, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using straight up Fairfax CO tap since I switched to all grain. For most beers, it's been fine. However, there are some brews that seem to have an off flavor that I think may be due to the water. Either way, I've convinced my wife we need an RO system (having twins, so "we need good clean water for the babies," haha).