National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Size Auto-Siphon??
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
ChrisRC1985
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Johnston, RI
Posts: 30
Default What Size Auto-Siphon??

Hey all,
I am purchasing an Auto-Siphon this morning from Midwest Brewers.
They have a 1/2 and a 5/16, I am not sure which one to purchase?
I am using a 6 Gal Carboy, will either work, is one preferred and should I get the corresponding siphon clamp?

Thanks!
__________________
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.” – Frank Sinatra

“Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.”
ChrisRC1985 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
chapa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 805
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'd say the bigger the better, and go for the clamp. Auto-siphons are great, but they take a while, just like most siphons because of the smaller tubing, so the bigger you go, the quicker you can rack, and the clamp will allow you to slow down the flow, or stop in the middle for any reason.
__________________
Fermenting/Conditioning: Casc/Cent APA, Hoppy Birthday Amarillo/Simcoe IPA(6g American/5g Belgian), Chappist Belgian Dubbel
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale
chapa is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Changeduser123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dana Point, CA
Posts: 259
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I own both auto-siphons (1/2" and 3/8"). I started with the smaller one, and I got the bigger one when I started brewing all grain to transfer cold wort from kettle to fermenter faster. It works OK for this purpose, and I thought that the bigger one would replace the smaller one for all my transfers, but it is not as easy to use as the small one:
* Since it contains much more liquid, it is heavier and harder to hold straight, without moving or disturbing the beer and the yeast cake in the fermenter.
* It is harder to prime. You really need that first pump move to be quick and strong, otherwise you need to pump again, which will disturb your beer.
* For some reason, a 1/2" tubing does not fit tightly on the 1/2" auto-siphon, which can add some air in the liquid if you don't clamp it somehow. I do not have this issue at all with the 3/8" siphon.

This is why I keep using the small one to transfer fermented beer, where I do not want to disturb or oxydize anything.

So my advice, get the small 3/8" one.
__________________
Mathieu

Holiday 5 cu feet red keezer
Changeduser123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
chapa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 805
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Good advice from someone who owns both. I think I have a 3/8 also. Bigger always sounds better, but you make really good points. Another thing I would suggest is a siphon clip, it will clip the siphon to any glass carboy or bucket and keeps it from moving around too much, and you don't have to sit and hold it the whole time.
__________________
Fermenting/Conditioning: Casc/Cent APA, Hoppy Birthday Amarillo/Simcoe IPA(6g American/5g Belgian), Chappist Belgian Dubbel
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale
chapa is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Changeduser123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dana Point, CA
Posts: 259
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapa View Post
Good advice from someone who owns both. I think I have a 3/8 also. Bigger always sounds better, but you make really good points. Another thing I would suggest is a siphon clip, it will clip the siphon to any glass carboy or bucket and keeps it from moving around too much, and you don't have to sit and hold it the whole time.
I tried the cheap plastic clip with the 1/2" siphon. It is useless, as the weight of the tubing full of liquid will make it tip over.
__________________
Mathieu

Holiday 5 cu feet red keezer
Changeduser123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
tesilential
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 308
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperceau View Post
I own both auto-siphons (1/2" and 3/8"). I started with the smaller one, and I got the bigger one when I started brewing all grain to transfer cold wort from kettle to fermenter faster. It works OK for this purpose, and I thought that the bigger one would replace the smaller one for all my transfers, but it is not as easy to use as the small one:
* Since it contains much more liquid, it is heavier and harder to hold straight, without moving or disturbing the beer and the yeast cake in the fermenter.
* It is harder to prime. You really need that first pump move to be quick and strong, otherwise you need to pump again, which will disturb your beer.
* For some reason, a 1/2" tubing does not fit tightly on the 1/2" auto-siphon, which can add some air in the liquid if you don't clamp it somehow. I do not have this issue at all with the 3/8" siphon.

This is why I keep using the small one to transfer fermented beer, where I do not want to disturb or oxydize anything.

So my advice, get the small 3/8" one.

Just wanted to say this is a great post.


I use the 3/8th inch and let me just say the little clip that holds it to carboys/buckets sucks. It forces you to place the tube against the wall of a plastic bucket and in the center of a carboy. I now prefer to just get the siphon started, then lay the siphon like this: I/I Imagine the two I's are the bucket wall and the / is the siphon tube. This allows me to slightly angle my fermenting vessels when racking to allow the yeast/trub to settle to one side and I siphon from the other.
tesilential is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
chapa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 805
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential

Just wanted to say this is a great post.

I use the 3/8th inch and let me just say the little clip that holds it to carboys/buckets sucks. It forces you to place the tube against the wall of a plastic bucket and in the center of a carboy. I now prefer to just get the siphon started, then lay the siphon like this: I/I Imagine the two I's are the bucket wall and the / is the siphon tube. This allows me to slightly angle my fermenting vessels when racking to allow the yeast/trub to settle to one side and I siphon from the other.
I personally like the clip and its not like you'd have to use it if you didn't want to. My yeast cake is usually pretty compact, so shifting it and racking from the corner wouldn't always be ideal, but I can see where you're coming from. I just love not having to hold the siphon in place for several minutes. :-) to each his own
__________________
Fermenting/Conditioning: Casc/Cent APA, Hoppy Birthday Amarillo/Simcoe IPA(6g American/5g Belgian), Chappist Belgian Dubbel
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale
chapa is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
SwampassJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 2,161
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

I "had" both. The 1/2" one like stated above needs at least 1 hose clamp because it's not a snug fit with 1/2" tubing. The smaller 5/16" fits the tubing better and it also fits into a 1 gallon jug for the experimental batches, the 1/2' does not.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SwampassJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ambler
Posts: 1,691
Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

I have both and use the 3/8" more. It's obviously slower but I feel there's more control about sucking up yeast or trub. The 1/2" just sucks so fast that it can grab a lot of gunk if you're not careful. Also, the 1/2" didn't fit into one of my carboys, but fit into my other 3.

I recommend the AS clips regardless. For carboys, it stops the AS from falling in an it will clip on the side of buckets.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using HB Talk
BrewThruYou is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,423
Liked 60 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

A cheap plastic spring clamp (Harbor Freight) and Velcro strap work well in holding the AS. You can buy a monster sized clamp that isn't going to budge.
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tubing size for Auto Siphon? Cpt_Kirks Equipment/Sanitation 2 03-24-2009 02:38 PM
Tubing size for auto-siphon Snyder Equipment/Sanitation 3 01-04-2009 05:32 PM
How Hot Can An Auto-Siphon Get? Pelikan Equipment/Sanitation 10 12-09-2008 10:46 PM
I want an auto siphon c.n.budz Equipment/Sanitation 13 02-22-2007 06:12 PM
Auto-Siphon todd_k Equipment/Sanitation 5 01-11-2007 03:42 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS