Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > CFC storage (somewhat long term)

Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
hiphopopotamus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default CFC storage (somewhat long term)

OK. I'm not happy about this, but I need to take a break from brewing for a while. SWMBO and I have gone over and over our finances and we're cutting all non-essential spending. Don't get me started on what I consider essential vs. what she does...

I'm not too worried about my kettle and fermentors as they're easy enough to clean and sanitize, but I'm a little concerned for my CFC which I built recently (Thanks Bobby) and have brewed only 1 batch with so far.

What do you guys recommend for storing that thing for 3 - 5 months? I know I'll want to clean and sanitize when I get back into it, but what's the best storage method to minimize growth of bad stuff?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
iijakii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 290

If you're honestly worried I'd just sanitize it and seal the ends with plastic wrap or something.

I wouldn't worry though, just sanitize it before you use it next time. Or sterilize your whole rig with a boiling-water run if you're that cautious.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Blow it out with an air compressor and put it on a shelf.

If you let it sit for a long period of time, definitely flush it out to avoid the "I found a spider in my beer" post.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus
OneHoppyGuy Likes This 
Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 29

+1 compressor, as all you really want is for it to be dry. Flush with boiling water prior to use.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4686 Times on 2803 Posts
Likes Given: 3957

If it's copper I'd make sure it is completely dry and put in a plastic garbage bag.

Sorry you are getting out the game for a while, hopefully things turn around for you and you come back soon.